Volkslid

Mangrove Jacks - How Hard???

OK Peoples,How hard is it to set up & maintain a tank for a mangrove jack,

they were all the go a couple of years ago but I heard conflicting reports on how hard they were to keep. Am in the position at the moment with a spare tank to maybe give one a go.Have seen plenty in tanks & they are an awsome fish but really what's the chances of keeping one succesfully???

cheers - Denis

As long as the tank you are going to put him in is big enough, cause they need their space...there is no probs

diet,

mix it up as much as pos... white bait, whole WA pillies when he gets bigger, green prawns, and if he'll take pellets well even better.....

filtration,

something good...... on my 6x2x2 i had 2 ehiem canisters and never had a prob.

Just remember when you do a water change of say 8 to 10 inch's out of the above tank i would always put in a good handfull of rock salt.....and when the PH gets to low you'll know......he tell you...

mate their great fish, they have an attitude, but will be more of a pet then a fish in a tank..

just do it..

there is or was a product out on the market years ago dont know if it is still out there :lol: but it was called something like brackish water extract or something like that but the easiest way is just add some salt so the water is a little salty but not overly salty that is the same thing really so like in a 6ft you would put like 3-4 handfulls of salt just so that the water is a little salty some thing like sea salt or rock salt or pool salt just not table salt

brackist water is the water that is in between the sea water and the fresh water in rivers and creeks/streams that join the oceanso it is not full salt but not full fresh it is not as hard as it can sound

hope this helps

mark

thanks tb i am sorry if i got it wrong it has been a long time since i have had to set up a brackish tank but i didnt see you helping any and still havent

but at the end of the day i dont think i said you have to use only 3-4 handfulls and i guess the size of a persons hand might very too

and at the end of the day it is easier to add more salt then to have to remove it as that would be a waste of water but the point was that all you really need to do is make the water a little salty

sorry if i was miss leading with the amount of salt :lol::lol::twisted::twisted:

mark