japes

List of Corydoras Species + Variants seen in Australia

Hey guys, found this thread over at PerthCichlid.com.au and thought it was worth posting here as comprehensive lists of fish we have available here are always helpful.

Original thread: http://www.perthcichlid.com.au/forum/in ... ded&start= (Thanks to Alan and Tammy)

----------

Corydoras:

adolfoi

aeneus, albino, black, Peru green, high fin

ambiacus

arcuatus

atropersonatus

axelrodi

agassizii

barbatus * reclassified Scleromstax barbatus

bicolor (Doubtful)

bifasciatus (Doubtful)

bondi

brevirostrus

burgessi

caudimaculatus

cervinus

concolor

davidsandsi

duplicareus

elegans

ehrhardti

gossei

habrosus

haraldschultzi

hastatus

imitator

julii

kanei

leopardus

leucomelas

loretoensis

loxozonus

maculatus

melanistius

melanistius melanistius

melinotaenia

melini

metae

napoensis

nattereri

nijesseni

oiapoquensis

ornatus

paleatus, albino, golden, high fin

panda

polystictus

punctatus

pygmaeus

rabauti

reticulatus

robineae

schwartzi

serratus

seussi

similis

simulatus

sodalis

sterbai, albino

surinamensis (Doubtful)

trilineatus

undulatus

venezuelanus

virginiae

weitzmani

zygatus

These guys are said to be more closely related to Corydoras melanotaenia then aeneus.

Thanks to Ian Fullers Identifying Corydoradinae Catfish for clearing that up.

sp. green stripe *

sp. orange stripe *

sp. red stripe *

Following C numbers are also in the country:

C38 (colour variant of serratus)

C40

CW45

C90

Hope this helps some people out there looking to get into some of the less common Corydoras.

Interesting list! There are a few more additions to the list:

cervinus

virginiae

loxozonus

kanei

weitzmani

oiapoquensis

Also, doubtful bifasciatus has ever been in Australia as it is virtual phantom in the hobby. The same goes for bicolor and surinamensis more for the fact that exports from Suriname are few and far between.

Nice score, Shaun.

Can you advise what the differences are between the two?

Is "white spine" so named for the white leading dorsal ray - or is that just my dodgy eyes?

I can see a subtle difference in the lateral line, and perhaps some on top of the helmet..but again, my eyes are shocking.

Hi,

Hard to spot the difference isn't it? Both have a white spine/dorsal ray. Where the scutes (ribbing) meet at the (horizontal) midline of the body - the longer snouted C141 has a black line along this junction. The blunt nosed CW28 has 2 parallel lines either side of this junction, AKA "Super Schwartzi". The normal Schwartzi has a black 1st dorsal spine and blunt nose.

Cheers,

Shaun

These were W/C apparently. I don't know of anyone in the world having bred these, yet. I may try soon, when I grab a few more. Someone has to be first. I'm still new to Corys, I've only just started breeding Sterbai. I believe you're an old pro at them!

Cheers,

Shaun

I love the corys - I am only a newbie to these little guys. I only have 4 corys so far in my 3 foot tank.

I have two albino ones & 2 Bronze Corys. I shall be getting two pandas when they come back in stock at my LFS.

What I have noticed is how active they are !!

In the shop they just sat on the bottom of the tank. In my tank they swim in pairs along the front of the glass almost constantly chasing each other in the current. They look like dolphins - the cutest things ever.

I keep waiting for them to tire out. Are they normally this active?

They are eating and seem happy and my water paremters are OK. I am just surprised they are swimming so often along the middle section of the tank and then playing hard at it all day long.

I think these fish are facinating and I can understand why people become Cory-Addicts !!