Sign in to follow this  
sandfly

Oxygen cylinder

Is it better to transport fish by car over long distance by...  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is it better to transport fish by car over long distance by...

• bucket with airstone
    • bag with oxygen

Can someone run me through how to purchase/hire the cylinder/regulator etc that you need to be able to set up to ship fish with oxygen.

Thanks in advance.

i think the easiest way is to contact some one like BOC gasesor companies like that to lease the stuff from or even welding supplies might be able to help

but i have never done it myself so i am only really guessing but that would be where i would start

mark

i get my O2 from BOC and it costs you $45for the bottle and about $10 a month for the hire of the cylinder. you have to open an account with them and i had to buy the regulator to put the gas into the bags. hth

For long distance i would definetly prefer to use the bucket with a air stone for many reasons.

1. Stability of the bucket vs stability of a bag (in the car or when traveling)

2. The ease of running a airstone in the bucket and clamping the lid down means no splashes.

3. Not as easy to sit on or stand on a bucket by accident :D

4. A bucket also has a bigger surface areas allowing more oxygen and therefor more fish to be trasported at once.

Bag is good for quick 1 hr delivary or if you are sending lots of different species to the same place via AAE or a carrier as this is cheaper to do so. But there would be no air stone in the bags and O2 cyclinder would be used.

Alan

Thanks everyone, I have updated my profile to include location :)

I have a fellow picking up approximately 25 fry from me in a week, he would like them bagged with oxygen so he can drive them south for approximately 8-10 hours, I was wondering if the buckets and battery airpump was a better option than bagged with oxygen.

Buckets are cheap or free and as long as you already have or can borrow a 12v air pump to use, so thats the cheapest way and efficiant.

If u dont have a 12v air pump the cost of that or the cost of the cylinder is what will come into play. As well as if u plan to send you fry across distances again is also something to keep in mind.

So if this is a one off maybe go with the bucket and airstone, if u plan to send more fish then invest in the AIR and cylinder. That way you can also send AAE and people dont drive 8 hrs :D

Alan

Unless you have a good relationship with a lfs that uses oxygen & you can fill up a few bags.

If you are just a part time breeder, its a hobby & all.

I would be advising the buyer, I don't have oxygen. Either supply your own, or bring a bucket with a battery airpump.

Frenchy :D

yer i agree with frenchy it is a lot of money and hassle if you are only going to be using oxygen once or very rarely i would be saying sorry i cant do oxygen

i always use bucket and 12v pump nomatter how far i am traveling i think it is just safer and easier

jmo

Sign in to follow this