Rion

200lrt drums

Hey,

I have come up with an idea that since the wheather is hot atm i was thinking of maybe getting some 200ltr drums and breeding my guppies, convicts and angles in the 200lrt drums.

is this a good idea?

i might even breed:

electric yellows

bristlenose catfish

and a few others in them.

any ideas on wheather this is a good idea and on filteration will be apreciated

Only issue that I can think of is because the drums are almost a meter high, it's going to be hard getting the fish out of them - unless you have a 200 litre tank you can pour the water in to.. but then how are you going to manage lifting it.

Can't see any other issues really, apart from filtration - which in that size would most likely need a cannister filter.

As above, a lot of people use the caged 1000l drums, or pallecons, for this very reason.

This has the benefit that whilst it is still 1m deep, it is also 1m square at the top, and once the top has been removed it forms a much more usuable space. As they are typically white/clear, it also allows some light in to see what is in there.

Best way to do it that I have seen to use these is to build them up on a "stand" (often a few bessa bricks) and use the stop cock to run into a sump setup - massive filtration potential (just make sure it is well capped with gauze, or even fitted with an upright for overflow), and good return pump capacity through the open top.

I am sure that there are some guys on here doing exactly this, and they should be able to provide more information, and possibly some pics.

These are great for grow out of anything, and often very popular for the set and forget style breeding of spcies such as bristlenose.

Having said that, this principle would work on just about any type of drum.

Hope that this helps.

is just my 2c - good luck

cheers

Kadango

would also try lining the bottom with a sheet of black pond plastic

as there is so much light coming in and also most of those containers are white too

so as you can see its a WHOLE lot of white... and this may was out the colors of your fish

hence the black plastic

another 2c

i also have a couple drums this size and yet to set them up, not really sure what ill need, i was thinking, just having a 200w -300w heater, an air stone and small filter(350l/h to 500lh) in each. it seems that my bristle nose grow faster in "dirtier" water, as i went away for a week a while back and come home to see my tank filthy and my brisltenose had a massive 5mm-1cm on them.

Not sure if this will work tho and not keen to start it up if its destined to fail

Advice pleeease

Thanks

Luke

Um, what is the footprint of of these drums? Are we talking about the round, blue barrels? If you are looking to breed any substrate spawners, it's not like your going to be able pack in 3 times as many fish, becuase a 200 litre drum is 3 times as high as a normal aquarium. The fish will still want thier own caves or whatever for territories and spawning. What about trying to siphon waste from the bottom of the barrel, I imagine this may be a little difficult.

Just trying to understand where your coming from with this idea.

I've seen tha large, square 1000litre drums used for growing out large numbers of fry, but this is a little different.

Cut the blue drums in half...

Overflow at the top emptying into the next one and so on down the line.

The last one is the sump with relevant media, heater and pump it back to the first one.

Can wrap each drum with insulation, styrofoam top.

Have an empty one in line and that's your water change one.

Easy peasy...let your imagination go...so easy and cheap and... :ewink:

Food grade IBC's (1000L caged cubes) are ideal if you have the space and would probably be easier to set up than the drums. If this goes ahead can you post photos of the setup, i would be interested in seeing the end result as i have never seen 200L drums adapted to breeding tanks.

i have been spending lots of time planing it out. the only problem is getting the fry out of them. my plans are to have 2 rows of 5 and use one air pump and have a sponge filter in each.

i find that if i use sponge filters and one air pump it is alot easier setup

i am goin to breed Electric yellows, Angels, Convicts, Guppies, Platies, Mollies, swordtails, common bns, albino bns, Electric Blues

as for getting the fry out i was considering the same setup with custom made baskets outof fly screen it glues together quite well just make sure the over lap is excesive for extra strength and put the sponge filter in the basket . and you can just lift the basket out :esmile:

and maby a few b&n can live on the bottom in the poo and breed like rabits :P

i have been spending lots of time planing it out. the only problem is getting the fry out of them. my plans are to have 2 rows of 5 and use one air pump and have a sponge filter in each.

i find that if i use sponge filters and one air pump it is alot easier setup

i am goin to breed Electric yellows, Angels, Convicts, Guppies, Platies, Mollies, swordtails, common bns, albino bns, Electric Blues