matt0210

White crane

i visited an aquarium shop today and they had 3cm peacocks and 3cm electric blues already coloured up as if they were adults, would this be a result of the store feeding white crane to their fish.

i have heard if you buy these fish get them home and feed them normal food they can become ill and slowly die as they are addicted to white crane.

there is also another thing i heard and its that white crane turns your fish male and will ruin any chance of breeding fish.

any help would be must apreciated,

MAtt

There are a few shops that feed their fish white crane as it makes smaller fish colour up and alot easier to sell

It wont turn your fish male but make the females colour to look like males

Justin (if you can find the site) had a great link a while back from a University in the US that had done some trials on this food and the effects it has on your fish.

I dont sell or use this food as I have found you can get great colours on your fish with a decent and varied diet.

I think the fish wont get addicted to this food though they will lose the colouring when you stop feeding them this food.

Also its not recomended to feed your fish this food all the time I think the label states only feed once a week

Brad

LOL definalty a hotly debated topic

Hopefully we can keep it going smoothly and it will remain open

Some poeple have different views on this topic then myself and everyone is entitled to their opinion

Just dont get personal with each other and we should be fine

Brad

I think a lot of it might just be hearsay, unless anyone can show scientific proof either way. I know that I won't use it, just in case. I have heard that it is full of hormones that can sterilise males, so it can ruin a breeding colony. Haven't heard about it shortening lifespans if you take them off it.

a long long time ago when I first started off in this hobby, white crane was all I fed to my fish.

I had electric blues that bred in my display tank.

I took the fry and fed them crushed white crane. These grew and became a breeding colony. They did all look the same but they still managed to breed.

I had them for at least a year untill I lost them in a heat wave we had a few years back.

They were the most irridescent blues I had ever seen.

Personally I didnt see any obvious problems in the fish at all.

Nowadays though, my fish get a varied diet not consisting of white crane. :wink:

The problem with the last comment is that people buy a nice colourful female & after a few weeks she dulls out to grey again. Happy customer, no.

The product must be really good that when the product first hit the shelves alot of the lfs tried it as col lets colour up fish. Not many lfs use them now. Ask them their views on it.

I have seen this fed to varies species of fish in a lfs, Gold fish got bloat, tropheus obviously dropped like flies...

Yes I did a little research, yes I have heard all the stories. The only thing you can really go on is that its just over 60% protein. The florida of uni study stated fish can only handle 32-45% protein.

Astaxathan can be found in other food products, not in such high doses.

As for the hormone stories... pass.

If you have a display tank, sure use it. Just be careful with it.

Frenchy :D

if i wanted a display tank with startling colors id use white crane and yes sometimes the fish will revert back to female in appearance but if i wanted to breed the fish then i would avoid white crane eventually the fish will display proper colors with good diet white crane just brings it our waaaaay earlier peter

Mate I wouldn't touch the stuff persanlly know one discus breeder that after 15 years started using it nad the pairs stopped breeding and never started even after they were taken off it. I have 4-5 cm males colouring up here and don't feed the stuff just good quality natural and pellet food spend the money and the food speaks for itself. If you don't beleive me ask cichlid mad man he has been here as well as boddiz.

Mate I wouldn't touch the stuff persanlly know one discus breeder that after 15 years started using it nad the pairs stopped breeding and never started even after they were taken off it. I have 4-5 cm males colouring up here and don't feed the stuff just good quality natural and pellet food spend the money and the food speaks for itself. If you don't beleive me ask cichlid mad man he has been here as well as boddiz.

Hey

I can vouch for braddo, his fish are one of the best coloured fish around. All his fish are perfectly coloured, even the babies :).

Beau

Dumb Question Time

With risk of sounding stupid,

What is white crane?

White Crane is a colour enhancing food that uses, most here would agree, an unnatural recipe to gain vibrant colour in fish:

Ingredients:

Fish meal, wheat flour,corn gluten, soy bean meal, squid liver powder, fish oil, vitamins, PSB (150 cc per 1 kilo food), Astaxathin, enzymes, lactic bacteria ethoxyquin (as preservative).

"Astaxathin" is a form of carotene which is an organic pigment found naturally in plants. Which is fine, and is found in other brands.

However, "PSB" I've always taken to be some kind of hormone ingredient and might explain why some females show egg spots while on a White Crane diet (and that sh*t just aint right).

I do admit I have no idea just what "PSB" is exactly, but I've heard a lot of people throughout the hobby refer to White Crane (rightly or wrongly) as hormone food, so for me that must refer to the mysterious "PSB" ingredient. But please someone enlighten us all if they know what PSB is.

I confess I have used it before, but now I wouldn't touch the stuff, as the whole recipe is primarily to colour fish unnaturally. I say "unnaturally" in that being able to colour any fish no matter what sex or age is unnatural.

Peacocks for example don't normally show colour until ~3" onwards, and only with the right conditions. For me, seeing a tank full of 1-2" peacocks with strong colour just seems wrong and seems like cheating.

Only time I ever got my peacocks to colour at a small size was a 3ft breeder of Blue Orchid peacocks 2-3" with 4 males and 3 females - competition for the females and NLS diet and all the males coloured. But since then a 3.5" male in my display tank is still not coloured.

That all said, White Crane is probably fine if you use it once only a week. But I don't think you'd get the same results once a week. The problem with White Crane is it probably needs to be feed all the time, which I don't think is good. :? And I definitely wouldn't feed it at all to fry.

Here's their website: http://www.whitecranev88.com

It even says on there somewhere use twice a day for best results.

It appears to be Photosynthetic Bacteria. This is from an ingredient description of a food brand Azoo:

*PSB: Highly nutritious Photosynthetic Bacteria is added to brighten up the body color.

*Vibrant Colors: Krill, Spirulina, PSB that contain red pigment of shrimp, carotenoids and all-natural pigments are added. It makes the body color of fish brighter and naturally vibrant.

Here is a very detailed discussion on this subject with plenty of links:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... highlight=