Sign in to follow this  
serenitynow

Stubborn velvet or disco suit?

Hi all - need a little advice.

A week ago, I noticed my large boy pepp had a gold shimmer running down the edge of the top caudal fin, a small patch on the rear of dorsal fin, and his body looked "dusty"

He was also breathing quite rapidly.

Thinking it was velvet got some Waterlife Protozin.

As I have some juvie corys, and some cory wrigglers,I was advised to use 1/2 recommended dose for twice the dosage period

I have just finished Day 6 - and "its" still there, although he is no longer breathing rapidly.

I have yet to find it on the other three pepps, 11 cories,50 wrigglers, 18 tetras and one lonely apisto -although sterbai colouring makes it tricky to see.

Was advised to treat in main tank, keeping all occupants in, as velvet is a parasite with three stage life cycle.

Should I continue the dosage for another 6 days?

Should I up it to 3/4 dose?

Is there a better treatment?

Could it be something else?

I've scoured the net and can't find anything that resembles it, other than velvet..

Or have I just caught him on the way out to the disco?

Water parameters all 0 for nitrite/ammonia, 5 for nitrate.

PH @6.8

Tank up and running for 9 months.

No recent aquisitions - other than cory spawns.

Last death was around a month ago - rummy nose went tail up over night - no visable symptoms of illness.

Temp steady at 26.5

Water changes weekly of 30% with aged and treated water.

Same day, very week, piped out, pumped in.

4 fter planted 280 litres filtered by Eheim 2217 & 2213 with powerhead and sponge filter.

Any help would be appreciated 'cos I'm a bit :boggle: :? :worry: :perplex:

Please help me help Stan. :cry:

Can you post pics?

otherwise get onto www.plecofanatics and start reading/asking questions!

Heaps of great people there, only prob is we don't get most of the meds that are available to the yanks, but some of the better ones you can get from your local vet but need to give them some notice to order in.....

Sorry but that's all I have mate

Steve

Many thanks to you both, Steve & Jodi Lea, for taking the time - I appreciate it :)

Pics are a bit tricky - him a pepp and me being a pretty crap photographer.. by the time I'm ready to shoot, Stan had nicked off back to the bat cave. Will have a look on that site, Steve to see if there are any other treatment suggestions - ta for the tip.

I'm 99% sure its velvet - perhaps just a stubborn strain??

Haev been doing lights out - however there is still a fair bit of ambient light hitting the tank, so will blanket and keep up with treatment at 1/2 dose.

Thanks again :)

Sign in to follow this