TheFishDrop

what will be faster and easier to breed?

not a good question i think

breed which one you like the most each one has difficulties and each one has the potential of earning good returns. Also each has the ability of going sour on you.

my first rule is generally breed fish you like, this helps maintain a real interest in the fish and its well being

but in the longterm on a purely commercial sense I thinkt he ikola are a better choice i beleive the peppermint prices are coming down specially for bubs

peter

just my 2 cents

I don't think that you will every have a prob selling peps, yes the price is coming down, but the cheaper they get the more the demand will rise.

Tropheus on the other hand have a limited market due to their care requirements, not everyone can keep them. Where as Joe average can keep peps even in with their guppies.

But as others have said if your getting into breeding to make money, I think you will be disapointed. A lot of work, for what little return you get, so you really need to be keeping and breeding for the passion not money!!!

Matt

I got a breeding colony of K2's and a breeding pair of peps in the same tank now, Ill let you know my outcome.

So far the k2's are taking the cake as they paid for the peps.

Keep in mind tropheus are not that easy to keep, I say they are easy now, but i have had my time staring at the tank wondering why they are all dying.

Got tip, search for the topic on the forum, Im sure you will get the vibe of trying to breed for money.

Although there are alot of rich people looking to adopt kids, maybe have a chat to your misses, start your own breeding program LOL.

Like I always say if you are only in it for the money

You might come out of it diserpionted

Both fish have their pros and cons

The fish can be hard to maintain and the pepes might of been breders be for you got them

But they still might not breed for you now

So just breed them because you like to

If you make a $ good enough and if you just brake even you have lost nothing

Roo

if you want to make money out of this hobby you will need a serious setup and look into pleco's, longfin bristlenose, peppermints, and albino's, catfish require much less maintainence there for you have to put in less hours for the return $$............

my 50cents

Christo

it may seen like a slightly silly comment about the convicts (above) but if you pick a breed of fish that is a prolific breeder and in high demand (obviously not convicts) like the common bristly for example, shops just cant get enough of them, in theory

if you had for example

12 breeding colonys (consisting of 4 or more fish)

and they bred 1-2 times a month

and had approx 100 fry per spawn

times that by 12 months in a year

if you get a good grow out cycle going and you can push out 1200 fry per month thats a potential $15,000 (approx) P/A presuming you only get $1 measly dollar each, then take out 1/4 elec bills ($600) and water bills ($300) and food ($500) you still come out miles ahead and thats just common bristlenose!!!!

and this is all theoretical and approximate, please feel free to add any variences i have overlooked

and this all depends on tank space too.....

let the debate begin!!! lol :D

Christo

Debate :?::?::?::lol: Looks good in theory. If you want a debate or figures, I best leave that to Doug if you want an idea on costs, overheads etc.

Just to start, top of the head. Don't forget the outlay at the start, disease concerns, treatments, salts, new stock, water bill, buckets, nets, fuel costs in transporting fish, time for colonies to settle, what if prize male dies, if people come to yours... bags, oxygen, rubberbands.

Then there is the big thing called time. What is your time worth?

You write down full costs in set up of fishroom, keep a diary of food, power bill etc. Write down what you make, get back to us 19/10/2008 with expenditure, takings & profit.

Frenchy :D

Debate :?::?::?::lol: Looks good in theory. If you want a debate or figures, I best leave that to Doug if you want an idea on costs, overheads etc.

Just to start, top of the head. Don't forget the outlay at the start, disease concerns, treatments, salts, new stock, water bill, buckets, nets, fuel costs in transporting fish, time for colonies to settle, what if prize male dies, if people come to yours... bags, oxygen, rubberbands.

Then there is the big thing called time. What is your time worth?

You write down full costs in set up of fishroom, keep a diary of food, power bill etc. Write down what you make, get back to us 19/10/2008 with expenditure, takings & profit.

All Over it like a rash................im getting a diary tommoz and im going to be taking notes from here on in..............

Christo

Hope that rash isn't contagious.

It is possible to make it viable, just go tight on your spendings. Avoid treats like live food, fancy ornaments. Cutting back on lights will save money. As does an insulated fish room.

Good luck. Don't count the hours you spend in there but, the hour wage will leave you wishing you live in China. :roll: I know its a hobby, hours don't count....

As frenchy said this is a lot more to look at than just the frist costs, for starters i run 90 tanks here at present and my power bill was more like a $1000 for the quarter, you are lookin at a good 2 years at least to get enough fry going to have constant turnover and once you turn it into a business would you be still passionate about it. The other thing to look at is experience how much do you have.

I know one guy who makes a very good living out of bn's but he has been breeding nothing but them for over 50 years.

The other thing is room size of tanks etc. Systems I would never use one again, you have to work out what is right for you.

Clientelle are you supplying individuals, shops, or wholesalers. So take a look at the big picture. Sometimes the best fish to breed are not the ones you enjoy breeding then it makes it hard to breed them because you will not put the time required into them.

Food will be more than $500 a year and you will be surprised how much you wil use.

So really put the thought in make sure your clietnelle are in place and dont rely on internet sales get quality stock and grow quality stock. Disease prevention is a must.

Last thing I have to say is make sure it is really what you want to do. Because iln 2 years you may very well hate it and then you will sit back look at your outlay and say what a waiste.

interesting discussions

if your ruthless/methodical and a good business apptitude, yes you can make a go of it.

ruthless in so far as buying/breeding the fish that make the best profit and getting rid of anything whihc is not economical

methodical you have to treat it like a business and do the work and setting it right in the first place is one of the major keys

business you have to research your market and keep track of expenditure

the only other way is if your lucky enough to pick the next big thing, eg peppermints longfins etc or if your lucky enough to find some exotic beauty which breeds for you but no one else eg L numbers

all i hope for is enough to fund my next big thing lol wow look at those fish arent they beautiful hmmmmmmm what will i have to move to get some of those

lol

peter

I have only recently got into this hobby but i have found alot of people make things WAY to complicated for themselfs and as soon as you do that it all goes down the shitter.

Its not expensive to run 3 4fts for colonys especially in summer, all you need to pay for is the elec for the pumps and a power filter in each, IF u do your weekly water change you should have no problem. With no heaters running your at about 100W max for 3 4fts.

I shortan my showers so i dont go over my water bill as well.

Fry tank is sponge filter and food to keep em growing.

All these setups are amazing but i think its when u go to far with to many over heads and you may not enjoy it as much.

As someone says dont count the hrs, its a hobby not a job :lol:

Thats great if you intend to make enough to keep your hobb paid for but i took the original question as a business and 3 4fters will not cut the mustard. Ihave hear 2 air pumps running 2 seperate rooms one being breeding and one being grow out no systems. Breeding room fully insulated and only heated at night through the cold months, grow hothouse and once again only heated at night.

But this has been my hobby for 30 plus years and still love it, The only time I had it going as a business was 5 years ago doing nothing but bn's and put everything on a system and lost 5000 plus fish in 2 weeks. Hence why i dont like em. But I am ready to try again but on my terms and knowledge. As the system was suggested by a freind to help with faster grow out. But this time it is what I know and trust that I will be using. My experience not someone elses.Yes I get criticised for it and I let it go over my head. Even though I have 90 tanks running my plan ist to go to 150 and I still love doing water changes and feeding if it has been a hobby for such along time then it is something I have to do.

By the way I do have medical reasons for doing it. I currently have degenerative disc disease of the spine and it is impossible for me to find decent employment as I am now a liability at age 35. Once I leave my current job which I hate I know this is my only option. As even Big w rejected me for a job.

I am currently working as a courier but this is becoming harder as the pain becomes more intense. SO this is my reason for turning my hobby so big. Too prepare for the day I can no longer work a normal job.

Braddo that sounds like a mean operation you will be running there, So many fish tanks you would have to have back up power incase shit happens and 3 phase would more then likely be installed.

i agree christo you could have a awsome grow out operation with 4 1000L tanks/cage buckets. But thats a fing lot of water man and the external filter to run these would have to be a monster lol

Also i feel that you have to set the fish room up so that you WANT to go in there and play, i.e. tanks not to high, everything neat and tidy, fresh air, wires tucked away and easy to access. Hell i have a bed in my fish room so i can lay back and watch them breed and try figure out the problems with the tank and who is beating who up.