Cichlidae

could be a blood bath

Was cleaning one of the 6 footers (total stripout and reset) yesterday, had a 2footer right next to me so I put the 6 footers occupants in the 2 footer for about 1/2 hour while i finished cleaning. took one or 2 pics. imagine if some one tried to keep a 2 footer like this.........

IMGP1797.JPG[/attachment:3l03m0a0]

IMGP1803.JPG[/attachment:3l03m0a0]

Also wanted to show off some of my new addiction, my young Americans. It's almost impossible to get them all together like this in the main tank without being in a punchup over something. I love my P Bass most of all, pure predator....

C

Also wanted to show off some of my new addiction, my young Americans. C

Nice one C - usually only like the little psycho South American cichlids, but your guys are impressive.

And a bit of a sarcastic thank you for using the phrase "young americans" - now the David Bowie song is stuck in my head.

If you say "who's he?", I will take the nice comment about your fish back.

Thanks guys.

I am on tank water so a full clean is easy to do, but they were getting a bit antsy by the time I put them back home I was getting worried for all the smaller fish in there. they seem fine in the 6 ftr together I use empire gudgeon and rainbows as dithers and loose the odd one of them occasionally. The bass is a goldfish addict and only eats every second day. I am absolutely certain that trouble lurks just over the horizon with this tank though. I am setting up a 6x2x2 atm then Pbass and devil will have their own homes after some fish move places. Just sold off a heap of juveniles to make more room too. The convicts have amazing colour, they came through a LFs I supply from another one of his breeders.

Thanks Cichlidae.

14 total but am shuting down everywhere as we are moving within the next couple of months, Shutting down well maybe restructuring is a better term I think about 8-10 running. one is waiting for a guy to pick up some fish on sunday though. lol. then that will be changed to a breeder for.......................which means i can put ................ oops geting started again. 8-10 would be the actual answer you wanted I think.

:):?:)

Cichlidae.

yur pbass will love the 6x2x2 mine did all he did was race down one side look at me to see if i was watching then go quickly to the other side and he was about 45cms in a tank by him self i sold him about a year ago awesome personality that pbass had hope yours turns out to be a stunner :)

I think I just jinxed my self. the blood bath has been and gone!

The main casualty was the cross blackbelt/green severum.

I think she copped it from everyone.

Pbass is back in a holding pond solo

patient is not doing well in rehab.

convicts are breeding

dithers are scared.

Devil is angry.

and the J Dempsey seems oblivious to the whole thing.

All is quiet now, put a divider in to seperate convicts, angry buggers!

This is clasic Americans (yes am a bit of bowie fan just a few songs mainly Re Young Americans)

This fish is the ultimate arguement fish. I personally think a Vieja Zonata or Fenestrata. the only thing is I know its history. I know the supplier Who creates these things. I will post a better picture. please Prove me wrong, I have been undecided about this fish from day one. It came to me as change from a trade with a LFS as did the Convicts. All comments welcome, except dirgatory comments against Hybrids Please.

Thanks

C.

spike_2.JPG[/attachment:1gzwo06l]

All comments welcome, except dirgatory comments against Hybrids Please.

QLDAF does not support hybrids in the hobby, so constructive comments of all nature are welcome.

Just looks like a Paratheraps fenestratus to me - definitely no H. efasciatus in it.

I actually got it because I thought the same! Thankyou, thankyou and thankyou! Also from my research I am lead to believe that the experts still have not decided if Zonata is a spereate species or just a fenestrata found in a different location. I have heard 1000 opinions you are the first with conviction, photography and obviously real knowledge. Thanks Guys th mystery is solved I am sure the story from the supplier is leaving me with a pocket full of urine! I agree fenestrata it is now for sexing, any ideas as I am new to the species.

C.

I saw a bunch of fish at a shop recently at Oxenford that they labelled as black belt/severum crosses. Pretty sure there is no severum in them. The same shop had a fish labelled as bifasciatus a while ago that was a hybrid. It is hard when people bring them in fish, call them one thing when they are not. This is what muddy's the species. People buy on good faith only to find out different. You can't blame the shop totally, except if they do it intentionally.

Quite certain your fish is mainly fenestratum. But cross a couple of hybrids back to a pure and it gets harder to tell. I frequently see people advertise on the net fish that they beleive are pure but you can see they are not. The two main spp I see people say that pure but are not are synspilum and trimaculatum. Both spp I would never buy unless the person knows their history well back to serious breeders who have maintained the spp. Not a person who brought off a person. I personally know a person who recently brought a trimac it looked real but referencing it to mine you can see the body shape is slightly wrong. But the fish is probably 95% trimac, which is real difficult to tell especially if you do not have a 100% pure specimen to reference it to.

For sure no zonatum only four people with them to my knowledge. See zonatum and fenestratum togeather and they are way different. It is an accepted spp scientifically described.

Thanks Euan,

so you know Kane then. I have been debating this fish with him since I got it. I grabbed the fish to grow out fast and see what it actually is, younger mine coloured up very hard and fast and looked more a zonata I silently hoped. since that pic was taken it looks more like fenastrata now. The story goes Kane knows the guy who bought the setup from an old breeder in southport. When the breeder was located by the new owner to confirm the species he said Blackbelt cross green severum. I admit that I can see the severum traits of the excesive green pearls covering the body this doesnt seem to photograph well at all, but is quite distinct under lighting. however there seems to me to be no sign of blackbelt at all in the fish, I keep looking but just can't see it. If there is severum in the line i think it may have nearly been bread out just leaving a light green pearling and what seems to be developing into a deeper body than most images I can find of fenestrata infact the body definately shows stable signs of this depth as a characteristic. In his favour Kane is one of the most enthusiastic excited young guys I have met in the industry. The stock of fish and quality of fish has definately improved since his arrival there. If you go to coomera pet barn regularly you would probably have seen or met me as I am friends with kane, often seen debating species within his american section. Vaughn the owner there is a great guy also.

regards Cichlidae

The thot plickens!