Picked up a couple of Yellow Tail Acei (10-12cm) yesterday. Put them in my 4ft (with other africans) After a couple of hours one was fine and the other one just kept flopping on his side on the bottom. I put him in a quarintine tank with some salt and plenty of air and left him over night. This morning he's still flopping over and looks like he doesnt have much control over his body. He is definately alive because if i go to touch him he swims a little.

Any Ideas what might be wrong? and if there is any treatment.

So far i've put some stress guard in the water and a little aquarium salt.

Cheers

Brenton

Sounds like a swim bladder issue......

I had this problem with an Oscar years ago, don't know what tolerence acei have to salt?

But I treated it with a very high concentration salt bath.

It could also be an intestinal blockage, which I used to use shelled blanched green peas. Acts like a laxative for some fish.

I must obsess I have little to no knowledge of this fishes actual condition, I am just guessing. Also the treatments I have described were used on an Oscar, so hence may not be suitable for your acei.....

Hopefully someone who keeps them will come to your aid soon, sorry for not being much help.....

Steve

Improve your quarantine procedures. If it was a contageous disease those practises could wipe out your whole tank.

Start with ensuring water in Q tank is perfect then check this place out to see if you can find the disease

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/symptoms.html

or issue then ask for help with advice or medications etc. that way a diagnosis may help others to assist you, cause I got nothing on that description, sorry, hope the link helps and you save the fish.

C.

Cheers for the input people.

When you say improve my quarintine procedure.... Do you mean before i introduce the fish to the community tank? Because so far i have never done this. I have read about people doing this procedure. It does make sense. I just haven't because i've never had an issue so far.

Cheers Again!

mate when u say u just put him in there did u slowly get him used to your tanks ph ect? also unless u know the person well u should always use a quarenteen tank easily made and cheap in the long run ( alot cheaper than replacing a whole tank of fish )

Terry

Yeah i did aclimatize him. Left the bag in the tank for 10-15mins then added some tank water for 5mins then put him in. Its the way i usually do it and it has worked ok so far.

yeah i might start with the quarantine tank with new fish.

He seams to be looking a bit better. Hes staying upright now. I added some parasite treatment today so that might be working. Fingers Crossed.

if he's settle now and is back to normal sounds like some sort of stress issue from transport or adapting to your tank , hope all goes well for u , all u need for a quarntine tank is say a 2 1/2 to 3 foot ( i use a 3 x 12 x 15 ) a sponge filter , a heater and a towel to cover the tank if there real stressed

Thanks Terry

Ah the old recover before death!

That sucks badly. I have had a fish in quarentine for over 2 weeks and still introduced disease into a system costing myself 3 young colonies and stalling my breeding business for about 6 months.

For a home system minimum of a 1 week Q, 2 weeks is preferable.

I am small time breeding only specific species but I now Q for at least 1 month depending on the location/system. more expensive systems now require 3 month Q for me. If possible I will never experience the devistation that Just ripped through main system ever again. Insufficient Q on my behalf has almost put me back to the starting blocks, a total of about 12-14 fish most sexualy mature healthy breeding fish, good size sub-adults. definately set up a Q tank if you are still adding fish to your tanks.

C.

Sign in to follow this