jeffc

Setting up a grow-out tub

I'm thinking of setting up a drum or tub to grow out fry to a bigger size than my tanks will allow.

I don't have a sump setup or have the room for a sump setup, so what would be the best way to filtrate and heat (in winter) a drum or larger tub? What sort of filters work best in the larger capacity etc?

Any ideas from people already doing it would be appreciated. Photos will be fantastic.

Thanks

Jeff

Thanks but no mate, I'm thinking of the plastic tubs either a 200lt? drum or a 1000lt one. (anyone have dimensions of one of these 1000lt ones in the steel cage?)

Will have it inside in my fish room.

Just after any info on maintaining one like this without a sump. How to manage water changes, what sort of filtration, Airation etc.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

get the 1000ltr drums, cut the top off. Drop in a big pump, something that will do 3000-5000ltr/hr. go to bunnings and get those stackable plastic crates, drill holes in them and tack them on top of each other.

The first crate is for filter wool, the second and or third is for sponge/biol load, the fourth and fifth form nitrate removal.

remeber to put a big sponge on the inlet of the pump so you won't such in the frys (defeat the purpose then).

best of luck.

Dan

hi i have 1 as a my growout tank (1000 ltr) tub i put 4800ltr pond pump in it & a 2000 ltr power head filter in 4 the filtration & a 300 watt heater set @ 30c it is inside my fishroom 4 the water changes i throw the siphon hose in there 1ce a week but i do have 2 clean the filter (pondpump) bout twice a week it is only a tempery set up 4 now n my fry thrive in it takes 6-8 wks 2 go from 2cm to 6cm hope this helps .

cheers doug 8)