Sign in to follow this  
maninblack1981

Cooling my tank?

Gday Steve

That temp range is not too much of an issue - the bigger prob is when you change temp quickly - it is ok to be a little high, as long as it is constant.

A couple of things in the mean time however. You can make sure you heater is off, or at least turned down (dont forget to turn back on when it gets cooler), take off your lids, open your hood, turn your light off and make sure that there is plenty of surface movement to aid oxygenation.

You may have to feed a little less too, as fish tend to eat less when hot, but other than that everything should be fine in that range.

As mentioned consistent temp is not too bad an issue, it is when it changes too rapidly that it will cause stress and worse.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers

Kadango

Thanks guys.

I've also got an extra internal filter that I wasn't planning on using until the tank was stocked more but would probably help to shuffle the surface water around a bit.

Would one of these be of benefit other than looking pretty??

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3479&catID=8

Cheers,

Steve

Gday Steve

These are more for show rather than any real beneficial surface movement - I would stick the internal in and angle it towards the surface.

cheers

Kadango

another method to use in extreme case's when it starts to get real hot :oops:

is getting a fan (a decent one like u would use to cool yourself) and have it blowing across the top of the water surface this should drop ur temp by at least 2deg and possibly higher in some case's

but as Drew as mentioned the conditions u describe should not be causing any hassles...seems like a normal sunny QLD day

Luke

how hot can your tank get b4 bad things start happening ???

my tank has no light on no heater in tanks open and water movement on top of water and fan on waters top its still hittin

32 and at times 34 degrees my jds are about to lay eggs will that affect them ???

on this subject

i have an idear useing one 12 volt car fridg plumbed of course

low power consumption

now i need to find a 200 watt 12 votl heater

afew other components should eaqul a self sustained unit

then set it how i want

i like 29 degees

may be of intrest

the only Americans i bred didnt spawn till it got to 30-32. so my guess is it will pobably get them going. its a full moon tonight too. that helps as well! I have a tank outside with a midas that regularly gets to 35. and shes fine. the fluctuation is a bit concerning. to stop a temprature spike through the day on extra hot brizzy days put a frozen 2litre cokebottle of water in the tank before you leave for work your tank wont peak till later in the day as the ice starts a cooling process which takes longer for the days heat to reverse. also turn off your heater? Create fall, water falling through air cools, physics chemistry or sumfing it works. put a hose on your powerhead and allow fall to the tank surface. also it is important to break the surface during the heat as the warmer water does not complete gaseous exchange as easily as water at 26-27. with those tricks you should have no trouble throughout summers worst. Beaudesert is worse than brizzy some days i wont go outside to check the fish cause its too hot!

yea dont have a heater in tank got the water moving on top and hos in filter so heaps of bubbles ... no light fan on tank .. i got it to 29 yesterday cause of the rain still ....

oh well ..

Sign in to follow this