Sign in to follow this  
Cichlidae

Another ID plz. thankyou.

This one is in a mates tank that I helped redo, I am thinking some type of zebra?

mysteryfish.JPG[/attachment:28oto1iz]

Will post the before and after they are great.

Thanks,

Cichlidae

Before

start.JPG[/attachment:1hn8zrgw]

After

finish.JPG[/attachment:1hn8zrgw]

He has just had a kid before Xmas and things got a bit crazy for him?

He is back on track now!

Cichlidae.

thank you, do you have a fish encyclopedia hard wired to your brain? you always seem to be very good at this!

found it Tropheops macrophthalmus

macro2[2].jpg[/attachment:2p042cwx]

awesome work!

BBF

thank you, do you have a fish encyclopedia hard wired to your brain? you always seem to be very good at this!

found it Tropheops macrophthalmus

macro2[2].jpg[/attachment:1ux5eus5]

awesome work!

BBF

:lol: i think we just have similar taste in fish :lol: i got one of these swimming around too :P

Sorry but I have to disagree with FishHead... that is not a Tropheops. Looks to me like a tangerine zebra, which I'm pretty sure is just a pale coloured red zebra.

agree with damo those 2 pics arnt the same fish the head shape is wrong if u look closer , just looks like a either bad red zeb or some other cross bred zeb

Terry

Scrollback up and look at the environment the fish came from you can actually see it gasping at the surface in the unfiltered fed on supermarket goldfish flake disgusting home it came from. its colour improves everytime I see it

Fish its not; Lombardoi, electric yellow, frontosa.

I will agree with a cross bred zebra, but its finnage is wrong for a zebra, finnage is more like tropheops

C

also have a look at the fins under the fish yours has long flowing ones the other dosnt , i would go with some type of zeb , very hard to compare to google for id on fish

Terry

Sorry but I have to disagree with FishHead... that is not a Tropheops. Looks to me like a tangerine zebra, which I'm pretty sure is just a pale coloured red zebra.

Yeh actually have to agree with u after closer examination theres no spot on the anal fin in that first pic either... sorry to lead u up the garden path Cichlidae :oops: altho the blueish sheen in the dorsal threw me!

Although with saying all that still would be a nice display fish would go well against the many types of blue africans that are out there , just feed it some top quality food and see how it turns out

Terry

also have a look at the fins under the fish yours has long flowing ones the other dosnt , i would go with some type of zeb , very hard to compare to google for id on fish

Terry

Ok heres mine (excuse the crappy phone pic) u can see the same flowing fins im going back to my first call tropheops

Picture166.jpg

are u sure this time fish head ? imo its just a zeb the head shape is nothing like yours look closer , the log flowing fins was just an example of trying to compare a fish to one off the net and say " yep thats it thats what it is it looks like that pic " , there 2 diferent fish imo , u cant label a fish unless u are 100% sure what it , a reason u dont buy fish unless u are sure what they are , but if thats what u think it is than cool ,

Terry

I have no idea any more the thing about your pic FHS is it looks like a younger version of this fish. except a spot on fin its the same fish the one in the pic has been uncared for for 3 months min no filtration for over 10 dayswhen Iturned up.

FHS still has it with that pic. thats definately the same fish as the one in the tank.

C.

He has no intention of breeding anything, he even had a vasectomy to cover all bases! When i clean up a tank and introduce new species i am more than happy to help the customer/friend identify the fish. this was a love job so no bucks but he would still like to know what his pretty yellow fish is! So I come to those that know. you are aware that some people just like to have a nice fish tank in their home with out the intracasies that obsess us.

C.

Just my point....

You can debate at nauseum that it's fish "A" or fish "B" but if you are not going to breed it.....it has little relevance other than just for interest sake....and in this case there is no clear opinion.

I suggest it's because the subject fish is not of high quality.

In my experience....Quality fish are generally unambiguous as to their specie...

I understand that lots of people like fish for display only.....but I believe it is desirable to educate everyone as to what is quality and what isn't.....whether for display or breeding....

It can only be a benefit to the hobby in general

if we nicely....call a spade a spade.....and not beat about the bush!

No intention to offend....just saying what I think.... ;)

Sign in to follow this