Sign in to follow this  
Shaneo707

Aquarium Safe Paint?

Need to paint PVC piping that will be inside the tank, can anyone recomend a brand?

Will be going to the big green shed today but don't fancy reading each label of paint with two kids in toe. :perplex:

Thanks in advance

Shane

Swimming pool paint will stick and wont peel but not sure about livestock (double check that one) and pond paint but i dont know of any every day paint that would stick long term and or kill the fish and thats coming from a tradesman painter

:fish:Junkie

If you can get your hands on a can of Krylon Fusion (easier said than done), it works well for inside the tank. I'd recommend multiple coats and the 72 hours or whatever it recommends to dry though. It's safe for water use after a few hours though.

Swimming pool paint will stick and wont peel but not sure about livestock (double check that one) and pond paint but i dont know of any every day paint that would stick long term and or kill the fish and thats coming from a tradesman painter

:fish:Junkie

There are also rubber based paints that would be ok under water but not sure about livestock

but they would cost $$$ and you would have to get 10L not sure if it would come in a 4L and it may be a two pack mix

just some more thoughts sounds like the krylon fusion (never heard of it but never wanted to paint inside a tank) would be the go

maybe a call to underwater world ?????

Thanks for the suggestions guys,

I ended up trying out "pond tar seal" not as neat as paint but is black so should do fine on the piping. Waiting for it to cure for 7 days then will test it in my pond for another 7 just to be sure.

Shane

Case # 69629-021810

Title: Fusion

2/18/2010 8:15:14 AM [Agent Note]

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting Krylon. We appreciate your inquiry.

The Fusion is not suitable for submersion and not rated for safety if in contact with fish water. I do not recommend this application. You may want to contact a fish care expert for more information.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Kim

Krylon Product Support

2/18/2010 7:19:05 AM [Customer Note]

Just wondering if fusion was suitable for painting plastic piping used for sumps in a fish tank. Is there anything harmful that can leach from the paint. I have been recommended this paint and thought it best to ask the manufacturer.

Enter a response for Case # 69629-021810...

I know some guys use Krylon Fusion.(apparantly without problems) Havn't done it myself so wont put my name on a recommendation.

Brendan

Your a true champion mate, glad i didn't put my name on it.

Brendan

Ive looked through about 30 other forums just under searching for a safe paint and lots of people say to use the fusion. obviously somewhere along the way someone used it and said o well nothing died in my tank so its safe. I took the extra step to get the info just to make sure on the facts. Unless someone has done additional laboratory testing to see if this paint is 100% safe I wouldn't use this at all for intank painting, No matter what anyone else says. Look for pond paints or call up somewhere like underwater world as I am sure someone there would be able to point you in the right direction

Unless someone has done additional laboratory testing to see if this paint is 100% safe I wouldn't use this at all for intank painting, No matter what anyone else says.

I've kept S. leucosticta in a 4x2 tank with a large amount of painted piping in it (PVC Overflow) for over 18 months now - My L104's would also nibble on it, it's even flaked off and given that my Eartheaters sift the sand, it would travel through their mouths. Haven't had a single problem.

Have also used Krylon Fusion in my 20" Cube that contains wild-caught A. baenschi and N. marginatus with zero deaths or signs of problems.

To me, that's proof that it's pretty safe, but I do see what you're getting at.

True that Japes, I have seen alot of other discussion on using epoxy paints and 100% latex paints as well. I guess for everyones piece of mind a person can only be suggested as to what paint to use. It is up to that individual to accept the suggestions given, research them and make an informed decision taking into account the information that they have acquired about specific products. I was only offering the advice given to me by the manufacturer, a process each person should take when looking to use a paint that is not labelled as aquarium safe or food grade.

Sign in to follow this