Sign in to follow this  
moo

Nitrites in tap water.

Just did a water change on one of my tanks today and noticed that my poor little fish was breathing heavily then i saw she had shedded some of her slime coat (GAHHHH!!).

So naturally, while freaking out, i tested the water and ammonia is at 0, nitrite is at 0.5. Was just about to whip out the pump and hoses to do another water change when i thought I'd test the tap water. Nitrites at 1ppm!!

So my question is; is there a way to detoxify nitrites in the tap water other than using 5 times the normal dose of prime?

Chlorine will instantly take out the nitrite. Of course you'll then heed to take out residual chlorine before adding to fish.

This is better IMO than using Prime, which cleverly markets to detoxify but not remove nitrite. Nitrite is detoxified with sodium chloride. It's not an expensive ingredient for an expensive product, is it?

So salt, sodium chloride, will detoxify it? And chlorine will remove it? That part i dont understand because the water is usually chlorinated. Although i didnt actually notice that chlorine smell today.

Hmm i hope this is a one off event lol.

Any other advice for getting rid of nitrites?

Sign in to follow this