Sign in to follow this  
shon982

White fuzzy growth on fishs eye

At the moment one of my fish has something growing on its eye, like a white fuzzy type growth, the eye is slight bulging out and I dont think it can see out of it...

it is only on one eye

Hasnt spread to the other fish or anything, they all seem fine

But I dont know if its fatal or anything

Anyways other than that I havent noticed anything out of the ordinary in the fish in question or any other fish apart from the patients behaviour

Eating fine

Its a cyprichromis leptosoma it swims normally but then turns around fully to see whats going on which is only the difference from when it was fine

So im thinking it does that because it wants to check its surroundings and cant see out of the infected eye so every few strokes it does a 360 degree turn around

Any ideas on what it is? and treatment? I'm hoping it will heal itself though but if its contagious I will remove the fish asap since its with my precious Tropheus

ive had this befor its not contages but if one has it the others will soon to if you dont fix the problem iritation causing it

i woul say it dosent like the water ph probably low ph aim for 7.8 ph but dont increes it to quick if your ph is 6 you will need to increes over a few days

i would try a water change and a bit of extra salt first and then play with the ph

just my opinion

someone els will no wat i mean ond have more idears

Ah okay, I'll wait for some more responses to confirm and then see what I can do

But low pH is kind of weird since Tanganyikans like higher pH

Maybe they aren't used to it, I have been slowly increasing my pH over the last few weeks though

If I can get a photo I will, but its hard to get one since it never holds still or the growth is on the other side of the fish which I cant get a picture of

Any other ideas?

I'm going to do a large water change now

It looks like the eye is completely taken over and is going to just fall out :perplex:

Should I just wait and see what happens?

I really dont know what to do

And I dont want it to spread to my other fish, If it has the risk of spreading I will cull the fish

Well I'm doing a water change now and I have been observing the fish, it seems to be able to still control the eye but It looks really nasty

The pupil seems broken up and the eye looks like it will just fall out

Apart from the eye, the fish seems to be perfectly fine :boggle:

Heres a terrible photo, theres lots of stuff in the water from the siphoning currently happening as we speak

First thing Shon, do you have a hospital tank?

If so then set it up and put the fish in asap.

Then use a 50-50 mix of mela and pima fix. Keep airated well.....you know the drill.

If you don't have a hospital tank I can lend you one. :)

Steve :mrgreen:

lol yeah I kind of sold all my tanks

Well ive finished the water change and everythings cloudy right now but the filters will have things cleaned up soon

Catching this fish will be a big task though, since they are fast swimmers and it is a big tank and I dont have much time right now (school work to do)

Are there any other options or things I can do

Will it heal on its own? (it looks like its not going to)

I suppose it is easier for me to regrettably euthanize the fish (i know i sound like a terrible person)

Sorry if i sound like im not taking in your advice, i would but i want to know all my options first

Well you have to catch it to euthanize, so catch and treat it.......

I have a 38L tank I was given by Miff I am not using, so you can borrow it?

Or if you are going to euthanize why not offer it to someone on here for free and they might want to treat it?

Steve :mrgreen:

I believe its around the 8 mark last time I had it checked

Though I'm ordering my own set of test kits for pH, GH and KH this weekened

And no, I just use tap water and add prime

I used to use rainwater and didn't have problems but that water had been sitting in the raintank for a while so I assumed it was clean since the sediments would have settled at the bottom, where as this recent rain has stirred up the water in the raintank so if I use it I'm afraid ill get some nasties into my tank

And all the fish have been fine with my methods, I do use buffers, salts and trace elements which I'm getting more of this weekend as well once I find which place has the best deals

Hi Shon,

Had the same on a crimson tide. Hospital tank with a extra salt (I put it two teaspoons extra in a 40L tank. Water change 25% every three days. Feed normally. Airate heavily (I used the internal filter with a pipe to suck air in and also a air stone) 10 days and all was well.

From what I found it was a infection of the eye from a scratch or some such thing. Salt helps heal without the need for chemicals. HOWEVER if it hangs on go for the mega.

Mine is OK now - yeah.

Sign in to follow this