Sign in to follow this  
Fish Junkie

Breeding Oscars but no fry

I have a problem with my Oscars. I have 5 fish in the one tank 2 fish breed up one end every 2/3 weeks and a different 2 breed down the other end every 2/3 weeks. I get eggs laid but never had wrigglers from either pair and the eggs get fungus after 4 days as there not fertile. I thought I might be very unlucky and have 5 females but I have since learned that a lot of Oscars are Jaffa's Seedless Is this true or are the males still not old enought (I know they have to be two) but all fish are the same size and the girls are laying. Is it the boys or girls or both that are infertile ???? If thats the case

Any input would help

:fish:Junkie

I have 6 tanks on a system. I had breeding bristlenose in one and I still have a breeding pair of red devils with eggs in one of the others. The eggs are fertile and ready to hatch. Not there first hatch in there either. So id say water isn't a problem. Also out of the 5 fish I did have 2 in a tank by themselves (external filter not a system) and they laid eggs but never had wrigglers either and thats not the two pairs that I have now that was the odd fish and a female of one pair so id say I would have 3 boys 2 girls :(

how old are the fish ? mate you might have 5 girls as some americans ( especially oscars) are renouned for two females laying egg , hence no wigglers from them. and male oscars are pretty hard to come by .hth

Ok been in the shed doing some test

Temp 26 was 30 dropped cause of this cold snap

PH 7.6 Tap water dont change it

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 10

KH 10

GH first drop stayed white (did this twice but after 10 drops turned green) ???????

Not sure on age but ive had them over a year and they are all 25cm+

I'd be pretty unlucky to have 5 girls ??? Maybe i should get a deff boy and try again. They both act like a pair one cleans the slate and the other pushes the others away but no cigar

Anything else i can try is my water ok ???? Pls help i would love some baby oscars

:fish: Junkie

Ok been in the shed doing some test

Temp 26 was 30 dropped cause of this cold snap

PH 7.6 Tap water dont change it

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 10

KH 10

GH first drop stayed white (did this twice but after 10 drops turned green) ???????

Not sure on age but ive had them over a year and they are all 25cm+

I'd be pretty unlucky to have 5 girls ??? Maybe i should get a deff boy and try again. They both act like a pair one cleans the slate and the other pushes the others away but no cigar

Anything else i can try is my water ok ???? Pls help i would love some baby oscars

:fish: Junkie

To be honest i have heard of people having 6 females before. Its just luck of the draw. I have previously purchased breeding pairs before to only find they were both females. One of the said FF pairs i then split up and through plenty of frustration, managed to repair them both to different males. That also was no small feat, finding 2 males. 1 pair lived in a 6x18x20 and used to breed every 9 days, i had to take their eggs away as they loved the taste of caviar :) . However my water perameters were a lot softer than yours. The pair that spawned every 9 days lived in pH 7.0, nitrates 20 av, and kH of 1. The other pair i had spawned every 3-4 weeks but they were on slightly harder water with pH of 7.3 and kH of 5.

When attempting to breed again pay close attention, be a pervert, to their reproduction tubes. Female will be thick and blunt and pointing down or slightly to her head and male will be more pointed and rearward facing. If you then believe you have a male and a female try removing the eggs and artificially hatching them. 1 of my males was a little lazy at times when it came to fertilising the clutch and maybe these infertile eggs are starting the fungal growth which then spreads to the other, thus killing them.

hope that helps a little

ron

Thanks for all the info sounds like I should play around with my water a bit and maybe find a male thats spawned a batch of young. If I do have 5 girls will call the male lucky sod

If you can think of anything else I might try Pls let me know

Yeah definately look at getting the kh down. This would be half the reason they are originally from the amazon. People will tell you that they have gotten used to our hard water but softwater fishes eggs really dont like hard water it causes the shells to harden.

You can use either ro water, rain water and katapang or amazon extract to help this.

I'd be pretty unlucky to have 5 girls ??? Maybe i should get a deff boy and try again.

Why not just vent them and find out for sure what you have?

Good luck with it anyway, I'm going through the same thing at the moment but I'm starting to think fertile oscars are a myth.

dude I heard on another fourm that they get made infertile on purpose in the farms b4 being sent here so they can't breed easy as oscars will survive in the wild in australia. And will become like carp...? Unsure how true it is? There are convicts being found in dams in SA. And if you want a fertile one u got get from oversea sumwhere

i think you guys are just having bad luck

ive owned a few pairs of breeding oscars

this is my latest pair, the female just hit sexual maturity and they have had 3 spawns

they are looking like they are going to lay in the next couple of days

all the people saying saying oscars are infertile smoke too much pole. I have personally purchased 2 fertile females then in different transactions purchased 2 fertile males and they were both from pet shops, which all inturn returned beautiful fry. Even lyle managed to successfully spawn and raise said fish. I am both lucky and unlucky being on redlands water where my water is super soft out of the tap, which is more suited to these types of fish.

Has any body considered using RO water or even peat in their water changes. Also recreating natural spawning conditions is another given.

As stated earlier, artificial hatching of eggs is another good way of keeping a closer eye on what exactly is or isnt going to plan.

If you want more detailed information please pm me. If ive got the time i can either call you or pop over to give you a few pointers.

Ronny

this is my latest pair, the female just hit sexual maturity and they have had 3 spawns

Until I see proof I won't believe it. Way too many b.s. artists around here.

Until I see proof I won't believe it. Way too many b.s. artists around here.[/quote:32t0a6zx]

LOL

dont doubt just because you cant get them to breed

fry from my tiger pair about 2 years ago

LOL

dont doubt just because you cant get them to breed

fry from my tiger pair about 2 years ago

No its just like I said, there are way too many bullshit artists around here. That comment was aimed at others more than it was at you. That is honestly the first photo anyone has posted on here of their oscar fry that I have seen, which makes it only the second fertile pair that I have known to exist in recent history.

Sign in to follow this