PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Okie dokie

There has been a lot of discussion and questions about sumps lately

So i thought i would start a thread just for sump pics.

Post a pic of your sump here, list some details ( size, pump, media etc)

Please don't post any questions JUST pics, if you have any queries regarding somebody's sump set up, please PM them or start a thread in the DIY & Technical section.

NON picture posts and such will be removed from this thread.

I'm just running an ultra basic sump for my 6x2x2 to hide a 300W Jager.

3x15x18", drilled with bulkheads leading into spraybars. The mechanical bit is where it gets messy as I didn't leave enough room. Should ideally all be on the glass lip/eggcrate platform at the top but wouldn't fit under the spraybar. Still works nicely, water is crystal clear.

sump.jpg

plumbing.jpg

sump.jpg

I run 4 x 1 inch bulkheads for sump return and a single 1" for pump return on a 1400Ltr Tank. All piping is PVC 1" Pressure pipe. The Sump itself utilises a combination of mirrored glass and Australian float and measures 4ft x 18" x 18".

For the inexperienced, the water flows into the sump via the bulkheads and first stage is the Dacron matting. I prefer it this way as absolutely nothing gets into my sump system. The matting sits on the 6mm acrilyc drip tray which evenly distributes the water over the 900 Polyprepalene Bio Balls. No debris gets into my balls, and with 4500ltr/hr flow - the water is gushing through every hole drilled in the tray. This tray is also removable.

Then Up/Down/Up through the next few stages consisting of 30L Aquaclay and a few kilos of Purigen , I only have the sponge to weight the Purigen down. Last but not least the water is heated and returned back to the tank via the 4500ltr/hr pump.

Mine was designed with extra height in the media sections for various reasons.

More importantly under powerout it holds the excess water without worrying if 1400LTRS is going to be occupying the house when I get home...

Sump2.jpg

Sump1.jpg

this one is a work in progress..

4x18x18,

dilled, with spray bars, drip tray and eggcreate. just the one s-bend(still have to put the braces for more eggcreate and then into the next chamber,

simple and works... will be filled with bioballs, dacron, glass rings, bucketload of matrix, pond filter material and might put fluidized bed filter in there as well to save room on the stand,

my drip tray has a slight cutout to clear the bulkheads.. just unscrew the spray bars and it lifts up and comes out on the pump end of the sump easy as.

new sump 01.jpg[/attachment:1yp36xia]

new sump 02.jpg[/attachment:1yp36xia]

new sump 03.jpg[/attachment:1yp36xia]

nice one -Bender-.........oh i love simple things :)

1 x 25mm bulkhead with 25mm piping through ball valve into the sump... dacron spread tray, bio filter media, glass rings, and heater under the chamber... through the s bend with eheim media and into the final chamber with pump... still heaps of room to add more media

100_0625.jpg

Nearly Finished my sump setup. took a making the background, Drilling Holes, waiting for deliveries etc. but its just about finished.

this drains from 3 1" bulkheads going into 3 adapting to 3 1-1/2" drains, they drain into a 120litre drum which is my filter, it contains 2 100 micron filter socks, then though 20 ppi poret foam, then 30ppi poret foam, then a 6mm acrylic drip plate spreading the water over 30 litres of bio balls, then though some eggrate dividing 20 kg of ceramic noodles, 4 litres of matrix and 1.5L of purigen, which drains into the 4ft tank underneath through a single 2" drain (the 2" overflow coming from the top is just a saftey precaution incase drum gets blocked) the 4 ft tank has 18kg of eco complete topped with 10kg of black fine gravel (this will be a planted section for growing plants and for shrimp, or possibly for breeding/growout) i will have a pice of poret foam when the baffle is to stop things getting sucked into the return, the return is a 8500LPH adjustable flow pump. ive added a T section into the draining to the refugium with a ball valve, so i can slow the flow to the planted section but still get the full flow going through the filter drum.

Its not currently in operation just done a few quick runs making sure no piping leaked etc. i hope to have it in running in about 2 days time. still going to be a bit of a project finishing makingg the doors, hood etc.

all the airstones, jager heater and possibly the canisters will be moved into the 4 foot tank below

the drum stays half full of water in operation

FULL.jpg

CloseSump2.jpg

i also wired up some power points inside the cabinet to keep everything neat and tidy, each one i can turn on or off from some light switches i added to the outside of the tanks cabinet, the whole system only uses up a single socket in the houses powerpoint.

CloseSump1.jpg

BehindTank.jpg

BehindFilter.jpg

locking.jpg

any idea how to take clearer photos of inside the tank? i fail bad at it.

depending on your camera, set it to S (shutter priority) and adjust shutter to about 20-40 lower if the its too dark and higher if its too bright, no flash is possible, but i suspect you have a normal digital camera? try a tripod or use a sports mode if you have one

Not to sure if I got my setup right on my sump but this is what I am planning. its 75cmL x 50h x 40d. Pump is a 4500lph, heater will be a 300w jager. Still working out whether i am gonna do a drip tray or pipe feed.

Red lines are where I have glass, under the media is just a frame for sitting some eggcrate on. the yellow lines are just the approx amounts of media I am planning

Photo149-1.jpg

Not to sure if I got my setup right on my sump but this is what I am planning. its 75cmL x 50h x 40d. Pump is a 4500lph, heater will be a 300w jager. Still working out whether i am gonna do a drip tray or pipe feed.

Red lines are where I have glass, under the media is just a frame for sitting some eggcrate on. the yellow lines are just the approx amounts of media I am planning

looks spot on.. if you run out of room you could always put eggcreate on the bottom of the s-bend and move say the noodle to in the sbend to give you more space for the other stuff..and possibly pending what heater you going to use move that over to the pump chamber if there is room.

just an idea

paul

As the height of gutterguard rolls are about 200mm or so high I was planning on keeping them rolled up and cutting them in half with a hacksaw, thus saving in room and meaning that I only have to buy half the amount of rolls, while still proving ample filtration surface area.

Hey all.

Just posted this in the photog section but thought id put it up in here too.

P7140205.jpg

Its a bit ghetto, but it does the job.

Top layer is filter wool,driptray

then more wool,rolls of gutterguard, drip tray

gutterguard and bioballs, had a bag of purigen in there but threw it out after recharging it( I couldn't get rid of the bleach smell, got scared.)

Jesse

This is my 4'x15"x15" sump running my 6ft american display tank. Simple but it works a treat!

Media in the first section is mostly mechanical... dacron, fine sponge, scrubbies, japanese filter mat.

Second section contains a mix of ceramic noodles, Matrix and Micromec.

Third section houses the pump and heater.

P7150006.jpg

P7150007.jpg

Hey all,

I thought i would post up my new sump ive just finished :)

It is a 2'x1'x15" tank.

1st Chamber has a layer of Dacron atop of eggcarte, followed by 7L of "Off-Spec" Matrix covered with Bio-Ball

2nd Chamber has 3L of "Off-Spec" Matrix and 2x 100g Purigein Bags

Im using a 3000L/Hr Pond Fountain Pump for the return

Sump b4 i set it up

photo-5.jpg

Sump under my 4'x2'x2'

photo-4.jpg

Thanks for veiwing :)

Tim

hey guys this is my 6x2x2 sumped setup

it has a 4 x 1 x 1 sump

first part is clay balls and bio balls

second part is off spec matrix and bio balls

third part is gutter guard and bio balls

and last part is 3 purigen bags

with a 4500lph pump and a 300w jager

sumpedsetup.jpg

cheers pete

Been busy working on this for most of the weekend.

Its a work in progress and still needs a few more additions and a bit of a clean up before it goes into service. Don't mind the tape. The sump was delivered to me on Friday as a bare frame - no baffles, braces, rails etc. I've been cutting and glueing all afternoon so its not quite cured yet.

Sump4.jpg

Sump3.jpg

Sump2.jpg

Sump1.jpg

I'll update this post when it is actually finished.

Cheers,

Matt

Mine is made by Mick at Aquarium & Petland.

Similar to bender's. Drilled with spray bars, very simple design:

- 1st stage has 8 layers of Jap Mats, 2 layers of black pond sponge and 2 layers of dacron

- The s bends are filled with around 20 litres of matrix and 5kg of corals. All are bagged.

The spray bars are screwed onto bulkheads, very easy to clean the media, unscrew these bars and lift up the layers of media.

DSC00305.jpg

Edited by chocolope

this is my first attempt at a sump. Built it for a mates 6'x 18"x 20"

main compartment is 12ltrs of bio balls

1 coarse black sponge

1 medium green sponge

1 jap mat

2 dacron mats

S bends will be full of matrix clay balls and noodles

17122010584.jpg[/img]