water flows out of tank into a 200 micron filter sock, then flows around the drum filled with K1 media, it then overflows into a partitioned sump full of media and then gets pumped through a large pool sand filter filled with Zeolite and then through a UV sterilizer and back into the tank

That's one hell of a filter system..you did say 1 tank ? how large is the tank it's filtering ?

So the pool filter is running 24/7, how big is the pump on that,this system must be power hungry mate..still the water must be crystal

It services 1 tank.

8x2.5x2.5

The water getting pumped out of the sump continually passes through the pool filter.

Pump is 18,000L/hr

Water peramiters are perfect all the time even with huge bio load the tank produces.

That's one sweet sump you got there QueenslandeR. Who done that one for you ?? Aef you've got some pretty nice fish it that tank. I've counted 3 rays possibly 4 a silver arowana. What sort of catty is that ?? Is there a gar in there as well ?? just curious what is the nice dark fish with the bit of red near its tail ??

Cheers JP

Ok, here we go. I have just recently build a sump for my 6x2x2.3 tank which is currently going to hold cichlids, but will eventually become a reef tank.

The sump is 1300mm (4.2ft) long, 426mm wide (this is so it took up the entire width of the stand) and 500mm high.

85afd513.jpg

f0ba7335.jpg

This is the way that it flows, please note this is from the other side of the sump in reference to the picture above

42434b34.jpg

The first chamber consists of 2 layers of course black sponge, 2 layers of finer sponge followed 2 layers of Jap mat

ab22cf69.jpg

The next chamber consists of a ramp that runs down into a custom made drip tray

Edited by corny-ratbag

1b4c360b.jpg

Followed by 250 bio balls and 22L of off spec matrix inside a bag thing we made out of fly screen to stop it from running away

f78abd18.jpg

In-between chambers 1 and 2 we have a tap to regulate the water that is flowing over the top and through the bio balls, this allows us to direct the correct amount of water to flow over the bio balls to ensure they are working efficiently. The water is diverted after flowing through the sponges, to just after it has flown through the matrix.

ac62287a.jpg

Followed by that, it goes into a reserve section. This is currently being used for coral to raise the ph and running filters until the sump cycles, it will eventually be used for items such as protein skimmers.

1465b854.jpg

After that, it goes into the heater section

Edited by corny-ratbag

e36dade0.jpg

and finally into the pump section. The pump is 4,500L/ph with a 1 inch pipe and 2 inch return pipes to the sump.

5ade4000.jpg

The middle pipe is to the tank, the two on each side of it are returns back to the sump. To silence the gurgling noise I used a T piece with an elbow pointing down with an end cap on the top. I drilled a breather hole in the end cap, however it still made a lot of noise, so I added about 4 ft of air pipe on the end of the end cap which runs along the top of the pvc pipe. This made weir dead silent except a very gentle trickle of the water flowing over the edge.

06883559.jpg

All the plumbing that would normally be visible, including the spray bar I used poly pipe as it is black to go with the stand.

Edited by corny-ratbag

and the parts that would be hidden I just used PVC pipe

c23d2246.jpg

15fddb78.jpg

Sorry about the long winded post, I just thought I would do it in detail while I was at it. I hope this helps people, if you have any questions feel free to post it here or PM me : )

In through a sock through lava rock up through corol rubble and then through matrix and aqua clay balls. Then heating and a 3600ltr/hr aqua one pond pump.

post-4084-14711624003143_thumb.jpg

post-4084-1471162400337_thumb.jpg

post-4084-14711624003537_thumb.jpg

Heres mine, took me a while but heres a bit of step by step.

Started with an old 4'x15"x18" and cut the top out.

63-1.jpg

Then cut all the glass for the petitions, you can just get the glass shop to do this for you if you dont want to do it yourself.

65-1.jpg

Put the dividers in with aquarium safe silicon, I found masking tape useful to keep the lines tidy.

67.jpg

75.jpg

Edited by Mackayman