Sign in to follow this  
Herby101

Black Paint

Hey Guys and Gals,

Just curious to know what type of black paint people use for the back of their tanks and any prepping information i may need to know.

Thanks in advance!

I just use the cheapo $3 spray cans from Supercheap... to prep give the glass a wipe over with metho or something and let it dry then start off with a nice light first coat which I let dry completely... this gives the remaining coats something to stick to.

I just use the cheapo $3 spray cans from Supercheap... to prep give the glass a wipe over with metho or something and let it dry then start off with a nice light first coat which I let dry completely... this gives the remaining coats something to stick to.

Agree, thats what i been doin for years, works great

ALSO, dont forget you can paint the bottom of your tanks as well,

all my tanks that dont have substrate are painted black on the bottom, seems to make the fish more cumfy...lol

Forum member Fishjunkie is a pro painter and I took his advice when i painted the back of my tank...

As one of the earlier posts suggested, use a rag and wipe the surface to be painted with methylated spirits. It will clean up any surface oils (from touching with your hands etc) and dries/evaporates very very quickly, leaving a clean surface.

I then used a small roller and applied an epoxy based matt black paint (from bunnings, cost me about 10 bucks all up).

Looks great, and was very very quick and easy.

Thanks Junkie :woohoo:

Use a 4" midi roller Not foam roll slowly and use plenty of paint if it runs who cares you see the otherside. Use a hairdryer to force it to dry recoat in 10mins 2coats is fine

:fish:Junkie

while we're at it, any tips for removing paint from the back of an aquarium? i've spent the past 3 days scraping the stuff off, and have only gotten around 1/5 of the tank done :hothead:

If its waterbased acetone lay tank on its front pour little acetone over then rub rub rub with rags and razorblade scrapper

if its oil a razorblade scrapper and/or paint stripper but dont get it near the silicone or plastic edges scrape there

if your not sure rub a metho rag on it if paint comes off on rag its waterbased if not oil

Good luck and before you ask no :lol:

Contact. Yes the book covering stuff. Cheap and super easy.

Clean glass, spray sticky side of contact with soapy water, place on glass and rub the water from between the glass & contact with a credit card. Just get all the air bubbles out or you will see them.

Cheers

Use a hairdryer to force it to dry recoat in 10mins 2coats is fine

Umm, are we talking hairdryer on acetone paint? With nail-polish (or enamel paint), heat from hairdryer stops it from drying & keeps it gluggy - placing fingers in iced water, or small painted items in freezer, dries & cures the polish or enamel paint almost instantly. Not that you'll be sticking those bit 'ol tanks in any freezer lol.

Its not acetone based paint. Use acetone to clean old coating then paint 1 coat use heat sorce (hot air gun is best) dont get too close you can crack tank then repaint

nowhere did I say acetone based paint only oil based which is far better than water based

Use a hairdryer to force it to dry recoat in 10mins 2coats is fine

Umm, are we talking hairdryer on acetone paint? With nail-polish (or enamel paint), heat from hairdryer stops it from drying & keeps it gluggy

I would be interested to know where you heard that one from. Ask Blackraven painted his tank 2 coats in 10 mins

if the paint is still not cured or gluggy as you call it keep drying it

it works im telling you. I can't stop you doing it the hard way :(

Hiya Junkie, sorry that "acetone" was me having a brain-fart, I meant oil based paint (as in enamel) & fingernail polish .... when heat is applied it stalls the drying process, whereas cold expediates it. "Where did I hear that from", decades of pro painting experience. Cheers, Di

well I gained my tradesman papers in UK (very cold) and if you think oil based paint dries quicker in cold conditions

you have rocks in your head

And I know that with my 27 yrs under my belt

As I said whatever works for you but I have painted over 20 of my tank like this + other peoples with no drama's

Does anyone know how to apply the paint ? Roller or is brush ok ?

I am going to paint indoors so Spray can is out of the Question.

Also, if I'm buying the paint from Bunnings, is it best to ask for the Oil based paint ?

Use a 4" midi roller Not foam roll slowly and use plenty of paint if it runs who cares you see the otherside. Use a hairdryer to force it to dry recoat in 10mins 2coats is fine

Its not acetone based paint. Use acetone to clean old coating then paint 1 coat use heat sorce (hot air gun is best) dont get too close you can crack tank then repaint

nowhere did I say acetone based paint only oil based which is far better than water based

Read this post first then ask any questions I will be happy to help you

what's the difference in the end result if you roll on the paint or use the spray can? longevity, depth/darkness, scratching, peeling?

BTW Thanks for all the replies, great help!

Sign in to follow this