Sign in to follow this  
VegasMick

HELP! Grundfos 32-80 not powering? :(

Hi all,

I have a grundfos 32-80 which I have just hooked up but it doesn't power up.

This unit has three settings, and to start it has to be on setting one which it is.

It seems the unit is dead, but maybe there is a simple reason why?

If anyone out there has any experience with this pump and might be able to provide some advice or recommend a few things to try, I would be very thankful for it.

Thanks

Mick

These run extremely quite so put ur hand on the back of the pump housing and try and feel if its working.

It also needs the air bled out of the impellor housing once all connected up before starting up.

Make sure of these first and if no good still try what I have listed below.

Check the power plug.

First thing would be to remove the 4 allen head bolts and take off the cover and check the impellor is clear. (needs checking if its a second hand pump )

If thats fine put it back together and remove the top of the black box and check that the wiring is all ok. (power lead unplugged,lol)

The only thing in that box that can stuff up is a bad connection or the 3 speed switch.

If the wiring is fine you will need to check the motor and switch and the best way is to bypass the switch and power the motor directly with the 240v to make sure the motor is working.

Its an easy job to bypass the switch as you will see when you open it all up.

Take the wires off,remove the box containing the switch and push the wires back directly on the terminals that the box pulls off from.

Once the wires are on plug the pump in and turn it on to see if the motors working.

If it doesnt work its probably buggered but if it does work the switch is buggered.

The pump can run fine without a switch but it will run at full power or equal to the 3rd speed.

mine has stopped once after some power outages and brown outs

the problem was the Start capacitor (battery lookin thing under the cover)if this is faulty the motor will not start in any speed,

the wiring can look a bit confusing inside the cover if you dont know what you lookin at

take the pump to your local pump shop, they should be able to check the cap and replace it for you.

Electricity can hurt, dont mess with it if you arent sure what you are doing

i have some schematics and stuff here somewhere, ill see if i can find them

Thanks aussie ... I didn't bleed the air out so I will do that first and see if that makes a difference. Not sure of the best way to get air out, but I will fill my pipes with water and see if that does the trick :) I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks Jim,

I know what you are talking about ... the white cylindrical thing :)

I always disconnect the power before playing with the wires ... I don't want to test your theory about electricity!

If I don't have any luck playing with the pump myself, I will be down to the local pump place to see what they can do for me.

Until then, I am off to not get electricuted :)

Mick

The Irrigation Shop on Moss street is the closest grundy shop and they will test it for you there.

To bleed the pump you will need water in the system.

On the back end of the pump is a largish round screw about the size of a 20 cent piece.

Loosen this off until water comes out with any air in it and screw it up and your set to go.

You may need to take the screw right out and insert some very fine wire like a piece of fuse wire to unblock it if theres no sign of water to start with.

Dont forget the shaft MUST be perfectly level or you will kill the water cooled bearings very quickly.Use a spirit level across the electrical box to get it dead level.

like aussie says, open the pump end and make sure the impellor spins freely first

if the cap is the problem you will find the motor should get warm if left plugged in for a few minutes even though it doesnt pump

OK, so I took the pump to the Irrigation Shop on Moss St (great bunch of guys!) and they quickly determined that the pump was stuffed. It had seized up (possibly due to sitting with water in it for a long time) and there was no option to fix it.

So I am now on the hunt for a replacement Grundfos 32-80 UPS Pump .... wish me luck!

Thanks Jim and Aussie for the help.

Mick

Hi Mick.

Thats a real bummer mate cos they are a fantastic pump and very cheap on power.

What have you done with the old pump as I could use it for spare parts for mine.

Thanks

Lance

My old pump is sitting in a sad little box in my fish room at the moment.

I am still trying to source a UPS32-80 so not exactly willing to give up the old parts just yet

BUT

if you are ever in a fix and need parts, you know where to call! :)

Sign in to follow this