Sign in to follow this  
ChrisNorris

Rafflesia Discus

Hey Guys :)

About 3 months ago I wondered into my LFS and stumbled upon one of the most beautiful Discus I have seen in a long while. I took her home a few days later and introduced her into my Display tank with a few of my other Discus, which is where she currently remains. I was guaranteed at the time of purchase that there was only 10 in the country (The importer is a very close friend of the store owner, who I have become good friends with over the past year or so, and on top of other research I believe that that statistic is either correct or very close to correct). I asked the LFS owner if he could import me some more, and last week I was finally able to get my hands on a further 6. There are now, according to the importer, the LFS owner, and a very very reliable breeder a grand total of 28 in the country, of which I am lucky enough to have 7. I would hope to breed the 6 new beauties within the next 6 months or so, as they are still quite small. Now I am no photography expert, in fact this is really the only time I have used a camera (other than my phone camera) to try and take half decent shots of my fish, so excuse the average photos. I hope you enjoy :)

Below is the original Rafflesia I purchased, moderate peppering however I still love her:

iohy7a.jpg

And here are some pictures of the new fish I received last week:

2vih068.jpg

1231chu.jpg

153lf89.jpg

30ug12f.jpg

zltftv.jpg

2r7r5ds.jpg

I was a little confused when I compared the original Rafflesia with the new Rafflesia's, in terms of pattern etc. Upon further research I have found out that there are in fact several types of Rafflesia. For more information you can visit: http://www.aquainvent.com/discus/raffle ... a_main.htm (my virus protection software tried to stop me from visiting this particular site, however I have visited it frequently on numerous computers without harm) I believe that the first Rafflesia I purchased would be classified as a Type 1 Rafflesia, where the group of 6 would be considered Type 2 Rafflesia.

Cheers,

Chris

Cheers for the nice words shorty :) Ill probably give my photography skills a second chance tonight and grab some more pics of the others that wernt so interested in me last night, as there is a little more variety in the patterning.

Thanks again,

Chris

gotta love how people can call a simple clean pigeon blood a fancy name and tell people that they are "new" and "there are only x amount in the country" just for an extra buck. I know the exact shop you brought these from just by the B/S you have been fed chris and i imagine you paid in excess of $150 each for these fish 8O .

they are nice and i hope they pair off and breed for you.

They aren't bad fish but not A quality fish. Go on www.simplydiscus.com/forum and learn about what a good quality discus should look like. I didn't say this to make you feel bad just to show you the differents. Good luck with your fish give them lots of good food and waterchange's and you be surprised they will grow into pretty good adults ;)

:oops::oops:

Makes me laugh and sad at the same time every time people give fancy names to discus/FHorns, white knights etc etc

just to make a buck... :(

All XX

Funny we get emotional when we talk about xxx in fish .. yet birds,dogs, cows .. come to think of it every other species its considered a cool and interesting thing LOL

Anyway this will get juices flowing :cloppy: :cloppy:

ooo nice looking fish .. good luck with them

I've never really been a fan of the line bred variants of discus. So I'm not going to comment on the fish themselves.

I am interested to know if rex82, coari, mrzeby checked out the link provided. This variant of the traditional Snakeskin Pigeon Blood discus is AQUAINVENT DISCUS signature discus. There are a few variants of Pigeon Blood and Snakeskin discus, and this is another.

ChrisNorris maybe you could email AQUAINVENT DISCUS and ask them what makes this variant different, and what is the difference is between grade AA and grade AAA discus.

My mistake for the misleading comment, the link I provided was not to show the quality (AA or AAA) of the discus i purchased, but rather where they have come from and that they are in fact a signature line bred strain rather than just a checkerboard that the LFS have renamed.

Cheers for the kind comments,

Chris

seems like anyone can throw 2 clean pigeons together and call them a signature discus strain, it's still the run of the mill pigeon, the price you paid would be signature for sure!

seems like anyone can throw 2 clean pigeons together and call them a signature discus strain, it's still the run of the mill pigeon, the price you paid would be signature for sure!

dose this mean u do it rex is that y u get so many deformed discus

anyways awsome discus u got ya self there...GOOD LUCK WITH EM

I call a fish for what they are (blue snakeskins, red snakeskins, red turks, blue turks, browns, goldens(brown based), goldens(pigeon based), cobalts, greens, blues, heckels, pigeons etc)... the fancy BS names that people make up are just to make an extra dollar.

Deformed discus come from bad water quality as fry or too much inbreeding and these fish are culled anyway, all breeders will have culls in any species of fish, mineral content helps this, breeding fish in such soft water will bring a few culls around, but hey thats fish breeding. That has nothing to do with people calling fish whatever they like to make an extra dollar, Yes they are GREAT looking PIGEONS.

Wrong side of the bed today clayton31?

acusations are great considering you have never set foot in my fishroom

I dont get the big arguement about discus strains hey. I know mine got the same comment so dw bout it matey :) The main thing is they look beautiful that is all that matters who cares about the name or what they are the main thing is they look pretty and end of the day they r the wow factor in your tank

I am not that into it but sure alot of them are bred with pigeons to get these strains i dont get what the big deal is about people thinking they are just run of the mill pigeons etc and say that its nothing spesh :(

I know that yes you get your normal pigeons, blue diamonds, golden diamonds, snakeskins, leopards, spotted leopards, and the list goes on but i do realise they make names for about half of the species of cross bred discus strains that dont meet these ordinary categories, which i find not a normal run of the mill pigeon for instance your case matey. So dont let it get to you call it what you want :)

Haha cheers Discus_Noob - all the chat doesnt bother me, quite entertaining to tell the truth lol. At the end of the day, I made the choice to buy them, and I'm happy with my purchase. I can definitely appreciate the comments being made by the other though, I can see theyre trying to lookout for other members. I have emailed Aquainvent for more details about these Rafflesia in terms of their bloodlines etc, so hopefully I will be able to fill everyone in asap

Cheers,

Chris

I have emailed Aquainvent for more details about these Rafflesia in terms of their bloodlines etc, so hopefully I will be able to fill everyone in asap

that would be like following a family tree in our southernmost state..lol. i was only trying to let you and others know that it is a buyers beware market, the fish is only worth what you are willing to pay as a consumer. there are the same fish out there as these without the fancy name and under a third of the price.

all the best chris :)

Sign in to follow this