wombat

Sand substrate

I just bought 6 buckets worth of sand to cover the base of three x 3ft tanks. I put one bucket of it in a esky and filled it with water to wash it out and it is filthy. The water got muddy and frothy 8O

Do I just keep washing this?

Is it safe - what is the froth?

Thanks, any help or shared experiences would be great. :roll:

hi, where did u get the sand from??

U can use it after u wash it 2-3times.

u will find more "dirt" on the surface once they settled down (after u put in the tank and filled with water) and u can vacuum the dirt away.

HTH

I put it in a bucket about 1/3 and swearl it around ther pour off the dirty bublespour the water into a nothe bucket and add some clean water and do it again

That way you don't waist too much water

And yes it will pull the sand up the tub

I find its easer just to syghon off the top of the sand that way you only pick up the crap and not too much sand

Then run ya fingers through the sand to get ride of any gassers built up in it

The o2 and that will up set your fish if you leave it too long

Andrew

Thanks everyone for your replies. It was cheap crappy sand from the produce and lansdscaping supplies and I have decided it would be better off in a sand pit for the little bloke instead.

I did what you said and washed it off three or four times (we are not on town water here so we don't need to worry - 2 big full tanks!) but it is still really crappy and will never be white. Also a bit concerned about the poo resting on the top and looking shitty.

I will have to fork out for some calcium carbonate or something. :cry: