Sign in to follow this  
aterese

Question: goldfish behaviour

I rescued a 30cm+ comet with a bung eye from the LFS, got a pair actually for my large pond.

Since introduced the other goldfish (10-15cm) tend to follow the large comets around, to the extent of sticking to their sides.

It is almost like herding them in, yet not nipping at the big fellas who swim separately.

The one with the bung eye is distressed by it as he is constantly going to the waterfall and swimming sideways underneath until the other fish end up spiralling off in all directions (funny to watch). He then tries a dash away but they come to his sides again fast.

He hasn't been left alone that I could see before heading to work and I'm wondering how to interpret the behaviour.

Is it bullying the new fish despite their obvious size ?

Is it bonding/following the leader ?

Normally the smaller goldfish swim in groups and interract a lot, always welcoming and mixing with each new goldfish (same size or smaller) that I've added.

I've never had any aggression before.

Haven't seen what the turtles think yet :)

Just to update, the blung eye fish was harrassed to death I believe.

Found her next morning half the body missing.

The other big girl/boy has survived fine and whilst still has followers, keeps everyone in order in the pond :)

Turtles are of course ignoring the large comet.

I have to say a 1ft comet has one large mouth, the thing looks like it would swallow large feeders all day long.

yep boys following girls. the recent temp change is triggering spawn behaviour. One of my males has developed lots of breeding tubercals. Look on the gill case of one of the chasers and see if you can see white pimple looking bump things. If so its a boy looking fer lurrrrrrrrrrrrrve

Sign in to follow this