Sign in to follow this  

My molly has a bubble over one of its eyes. It is not cloudy just clear what could this be. I do no want to go buy any medication unless it is contagious to my pindanis. For now I put in a very light dose of methalane blue and malchnite green.

Matt

1- What are your water conditions like ?

2- Have u added any new fish ?

3- Is the bubble cloudly ?

4- Also is the bubble his whole eye or another bubble on top of his eye?

Terry

The bubble has started to become cloudy, last night it was clear. It does cover the whole eye and it looks like it has a smaller bubble on top of the big bubble. I don't know the levels of amonia, nitrites ect as I am saving up for a master test kit. I did a water change on monday though. He is the newest fish in the tank, I removed him from my salt tank. Would readjusting him to salt fix it? The filters are a aquis 1200 and a aqua world 500. The other inhabitants are 2 other female mollies, 6 pindani and 5 bristlenose. The tank is 55 gallons. He is often fighting with one of the female mollies but surprisingly the pindanis leave him alone.

A google search turned this up "Bacterial infections, injury and water quality are the most common problems. Vitamin A deficiency, tumors and gas embolism are less common reasons. Pop eye can also be caused by gas bubble disease as a result of oxygen super saturation (excess levels) of the water with the gas, nitrogen. Super saturation occurs whenever the pressure of a gas in the water is higher than the pressure of the same gas in the surrounding atmosphere, whereby the difference in gas pressures causes the gas to get pulled too quickly out of the fish's bloodstream, leaving behind gas bubbles. The other symptoms of this are the appearance of bubbles under the fish's skin. It's caused by excess oxygen in the water, particularly from filters that blow air directly from outside to inside the tank, and from pressurized tap water that did not get mixed." So from what I understand I should turn of the air inlet on the filter? I wont buy any antibiotics anless it puts my other fish at risk, but from what I understand it is not contaigous and none of the others have it. These fish were put in there because I shut down their old tank.

Sign in to follow this