Sign in to follow this  
Moses

100+ Bristlenose Spawn???

Well my bristlenose pair finally done the deed for the first time. About 3 weeks ago the male started kicking out the fry. Didn't really take much notice to how many as I didn't want to disturb him. After they started putting on some size there seemed to be a substantial amount of fry.

Today I pulled them all out of the tank, 1' cube :) , cause the male was releasing his next batch of fry.

I placed them all in a bucket and removed the new batch which were much smaller. I took a photo and started to count them. Stopped counting at 100 8O All around the 2.5-3cm mark. Reckon there is somewhere between 110-120 all up for the first batch.

I thought they were suppose to have spawns around the 50 mark :?:

The pair are only 6-8cm and this is their first batch as I have grown them up.

Anyone care to offer some views?

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2287

all my bristlenose have alot more than 50 fry at a time but i can just never seem to be able to raise the fry, untill now. i cleaned out my tank with my common pair and i counted 67 2cm fry from my 8cm girl and i distinctly remember pulling atleast 30 dead fry out of there about 2 weeks ago. so yeh i strongly believe they can lay over 100 eggs at a time. and so you know i believe i counted 109 fry in the bucket, you may be able to start a game with that lol :)

im not raining on the parade or anything but i can clearly see two different sized lots of fry in there.........i think they may have just bred twice really close together....... :wink:

thats my theory :D

im not raining on the parade or anything but i can clearly see two different sized lots of fry in there.........i think they may have just bred twice really close together....... :wink:

thats my theory :D

No raining at all. I posted this to get some different views ;)

I too can see a difference in size between some. But naturally all fry don't grow at exactly the same rate. That would also mean that they have spawned and kicked out fry 3 times in 3 weeks 8O Is that possible? First time I have ever bred BN before so I'm just after some answers/theories.

Thanks for your input christo. Appreciate it :)

bristlenose will often cluster spawn. a female finds a male very attractive when he is looking after newly hatched fry as she knows she can rely on him to be a good father and raise her fry. it is also a technique sometimes to tip young fry of bristlenose into harder to breed species like peppermints as the fry in the tank sometime will encourage them to spawn.

hi moses it is very possible to get over 100 in a single spawn, i know this as my commons always used to do it.

as for 3 in 3 weeks i have not heard of that quick, quickest i have had is my peps 3 in 4 weeks but that was from a trio.

well done raising all the fry too that can sometimes be difficult. thanks.

Sign in to follow this