Sign in to follow this  
AquaAddiction

How to care for Pindani fry???

Hi Guys, i have a quick question....I am not a breader nor do I want to be, i have an all male malawi tank, well they were suposed to be all male.

Keep a long story short i bought 4 albino pindani from LFS, thought there might have been a female in the lot and just wanted to see what happened.

I noticed one fish not eating, and had a large mouth so I seperated the female about 2-3 weeks ago. 2 days ago she spat about 20 or so fry. I have had fish breed before but usualy just let nature run its course, don't want cross breeding or anything.

I am still concerned about hybrids but i was told if the fry are true albino then they are not hybrid, is this true?

And what is the best course of action to take if i did have true albino non-hybid fish, how do i look after them, should i remove the mother?

Should i remove the fry?

What is the best water parameters to prevent loss of fry?

How and what should i feed??

And another related question, If i put the female back in the tank with the other males what is likely to happen?

If she breeds again will she always choose the same male?

Thanks for the help

Dean

If all the fry are albino they are deffintely non-hybrid, but they could have had some normal genes from parents ect, if so some will be blue. She should not permanently pair as they are harem breeders. You should be able to leave the mum with the fry for about a week, it would be best to keep the mum separate from her oringinal tank untill she has regained her strength, I don't know how the other fish will react to adding her back to the tank though.

Sign in to follow this