Sign in to follow this  
nicko

fish tank stands and hoods

howdy everyone, gunna try get back into the whole forum and fish thing again.

well as some of you know, i have an apprenticeship as a chippy, and im pretty handy with timber, and you would know if you saw some of the things around my house ive made. from retaining walls, to bridges to stands and hoods.

my question to you people is, would any of you be interested in buying these stands and hoods??

the stands would be made from mgp-12 (the stuff they make houses out of) and both glued and screwed. so theres no question of strenght.

so feel free to express you thoughts of this idea in this thread and weather you would be interested or un-interested.

thanks

nicko

thats a great idea nick, your best bet would be to make a few and put up some photos and put them in the trader section....but make sure your competitvly priced as most competent home handy men can knock up a tank stand, unless you went all out and routed the edges and built them in and varnished them, would do quite well imho

only problem i could see is your location is out the back of wazzzoooo :D

you may want to try to get a bit of business by offering a few simple "freebies"..I don't mean a stand totally free, but if someone on this forum came to you needing a stand made for a tank of certain dimensions, why not calculate the total amount of wood needed (or close to it) and get the person to buy it and bring it to you ? This way, you are not out of pocket and it is only your time that you are donating. If the end result is any good, get a couple photos put up and I'm sure you would get some glowing testimonials from satisfied customers. If you do that, you could also get an idea of how long it would take for you to do it, then you'd be able to set your price based on labour AND materials. Of course, when you get into intricate designs, your costs may be more, but if you have a few basic designs in mind, it should be no problem. The results could mean you could make a bit of extra moeny on the side (to buy more tanks and fish of course ! :lol: ) and you could get a lot of advertising through word-of-mouth via this forum (and any others you may belong to)

just an idea anyway...

thanks for the insight doug, thats just what im after, people with ideas who are game enough to share them. im happy to make a simple tank stand for anyone, and only charge for supplies, but i was going to aim for some realy nice pieces of furniture, you know, nice cabinets, a change from the old fashoined stand. im in the design phase atm, im planning on making one, and showing everyone pictures etc of the cabinet, this way, if you like what you see, feel free to contact me and get me to make you one :)

plans are anywhere from basic storng stands to nicely finished cabinets with a lick of paint.

that's the idea I getting at (in a roundabout way). It would be good if you could get an idea about what are the most common sizes of tank bases and whip up a couple of them (ie 3' x 15" ? 4'x2' ? 4'x18" ?) If you have a variety, that would be better. As you mentioned, some people may just want to have a simple "cheap and nasty" one for the shed (or fish room), whereas others may want a really nice showpiece that is a real piece of furniture. As long as you could make it cheaper than the shops, you're laughing ! Even if you could only match the prices of the shops, I'm sure a lot of people wold rather see someone from the forum make a little bit of money..

(I was writing my reply to your previous when you posted the photos !)

based on the above design, how much would you charge for them (with or without the paint) ?

well price would depend on what size, that stand (2x1) cost me $12 to make and the tin of paint was $35, i bought it for another job and had some left. as far as mark up goes, i have no idea, it took me 2-3 hours to make, and another hour to paint.

It looks like you're on your way with a new money spinner. Don't forget us little people who knew you when you started :P

hey, do I get any kickbacks or finders-fees, or commission for the brilliant advertising campaign I suggested ??? lmao :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

lol doug if i was rich ide consider it, but everyone knows apprenticeship wages dont cut it, and this stand making will be good weekend work for me to make a tiny bit of extra cash to fund my fish and tanks.

i guess the only way to show people the quality is to make one to show everyone.

so heres what im going to do, im going to pick a standard size (3x18 or 4x2) and im going to make a cabinet, with doors and a shelf etc. this cabinet will show eeryone what quality to expect, and what thier finished product will look like, it will also give me a rough idea of what the cost will be. i will also make a matching sloping hood.

as far as people wanting just your standard stand like pictured above, shoot me a pm with your EXACT tank footprint, and ill get you a qoute.

yea mate, find out what ppl are selling them for...dunno if i could mention names of your bigger competitors on here...

you could also go and approach someone who makes tanks and buy some off him bulk and cheap and start selling whole packages!

if ya need a business partner mate ill be in on it haha got some ideas myself :D

Hey mate i'd be keen for a hood. i'd pay for the timber and give you some ontop of that. But it's an 8'6"x2'2" so i don't know how difficult it is. And just to be a pain in the a** i'd like it so i could put 2 sets of 4ft lights in it. Let meknow if your interested

rusty, biggest sheet of ply i have access too (for the lid) is 2400x1200.

8' 6" = 259.1 cm. what i can do is have a join in the middle, and have2 lids, on seperate hinges, one with access to the right size of the tank, and one with access to the left, add me on msn if you wanna have a chat

flanka_06@hotmail.com

cheers, nick

and if you want a steel stand but with timber around it and maybe a hood to go with it see nick or i, as we very happy to work together on any of those stands...

cheers

Have you considered just making them on order, then just shipping them to whoever flat pack to save on your time during construction and customers costs? I make my own hard wood stands but, i can say id pay for the priverlidge of them being square without me having to check them and make them...just a passing thought! most fish people are rather cluey folk and construction not the problem, tools and funds tend to be the biggest draw backs...food for thought...best of luck and keep me posted!

Sign in to follow this