Sign in to follow this  
sugarglider

Best way to transport an 8ft tank?

Does anyone know of a relatively cheap and safe method to transport an 8ft tank. Its so big and heaavy!

Mini movers charge $150 and hour, its expensive but they ensure no damages and will compensate if there is any.

The bloke I'm buying it from thinks hiring a trailer from a servo would be alright but i think it might be too bouncy and damaging for the tank... am i being over protective?

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Depending on how far you have to travel, a trailer probably would be all right as long as you put a thick layer of foam under the tank. The weight of a big 8 footer will take some of the bounce out of the springs.

Removalists are good as they know what they are doing, have insurance as you know and the most important things...they will carry the tank into the truck and then into your house and position it on the stand. Unless you have a bunch of friends to sucker into helping you. That in its self is worth a bundle

T

a trailer will be fine, remember there only bouncy when they are empty! there will be plenty weight in there to not bounce, put the foam down ,wrap a blanket around the tank and tie it to one side of the trailer. have done this plenty times have not had a prob. just get a couple of strong mates! work out where ya want it at your place, work out whats the best way and easist way to get it there then move it in one go!

Good luck! i just moved a 5ft long x 2.5ft wide tank and stand as well as sump, QT tank, fish, water, sand, filters, powerheads, etc in the back of the car and with a trailer...

THAT was hard enough, couldnt imagine moving an 8ft!

Nick

Better then foam is to use the wood they use when delivering containers of glass

Maybe try some glass places for them

They are wood with 1 side covered in rubber.

I used them all the time when I moved tanks

I used them when I moved both of 10.5ft tanks

Now that was an effort

2 x 10ft tanks plus 2 sumps and 1 huge stand

Around 15 people too

Brad

Better then foam is to use the wood they use when delivering containers of glass

Maybe try some glass places for them

They are wood with 1 side covered in rubber.

I used them all the time when I moved tanks

I used them when I moved both of 10.5ft tanks

Now that was an effort

2 x 10ft tanks plus 2 sumps and 1 huge stand

Around 15 people too

Brad

Oh yes, I remember that move. Gee they weighed a sh itloads. I think it was only 9 people picking them up, 14 to off load. Those extra 5 made a huge difference. I am just glad we moved them empty, without having this fat prick in them.

steveintank2.jpg

Frenchy :sheep:

hmmmmm strange advice given lol

only a couple of questions to be asked

have you shifted a tank before

can you call on a few good burly people who you trust

can you get a trailer andfoam

are there stairs,hills or obstacles in the way of pick up or delivery

these are the normal hurdles Ive shifted a 8 footer with just me and a mate not hard no stairs plenty of foam and didnt have to caryy it far

(one hint if you do have no obstacles consider shiting it on stand a few feet at a time this mean no gut busting and you dont have to worry if it gets too much. I also suggest apart from the people carry the tank have a friend on stand by with some milk crates so if it gets too much you can rest, its damm hard picking up off the ground)

not the answer you want but in the end its up to you if in doubt not wortht he risk of hurting you or breaking/chipping the tank

peter

thanks guys.. yeah i think i will get a trailer and some mates around to help with them move. getting the tank in the house is easy its got nice easy access even for an 8ft tank! thanks for the padding ideas they sure will be useful.

mini movers don't actually cover damage to fish tanks actually, i read there policy (while i was on hold for 20min before i hung up) and they're excluded for obvious reasons...

Cheers. Ill let you's know how the move goes

Yeah just got it in today! I'm so stoked I just gotta set it up now haha

with 4 blokes we ended up using a friends van and it fitted perfect with half a foot to spare at each end. went pretty smooth so now we just have to narrow down whats goin in the tank.

Thank you to everyone for all your help and suggestions :)

Hey mate, glad to hear its fien and got moved with out any problems :)

dotn forget to update us with some pics once its all setup ;)

Just moved a 12fter on a car trailer 400km with no problems at all. Just 2 mattresses underneath the tank and was all fine.

Good luck with it all

Sign in to follow this