Sign in to follow this  
vodo

What is the difference between interruptus and johanni?

Can someone please clarify the difference of these two species - is there a difference?

Some sites and aquariums say yes some say no - please help.

I have a colony of what I was told are interruptus yet the ones I see in Aquarium shops look similar or the same as the males but they are called Johanni.

Thanks

Both are seperate species.

The theory is the fish in this country are Johanni lines gone wrong.

Johanni are meant to have clean horzontal lines, meant to be very similar to maingano. I can remember them being fairly clean, 10 plus years ago. I remember chatting to Brad, he had some 5 years ago, he had never seen them with clean horizontal lines. The fish in this country have been called Johanni for donkeys. Its only been the last few years that the name interruptus has been floated, as thats what these fish look closer too.

I do believe they haven't been any imports of either over recent years & what the ones we do have the country are? I don't really know. They could of been interruptus from the start, wrongly named. But I am sure they used to have clean horizontals. Someone a bit older might give more answers, or if I am wrong about recent imports.

This link is cool, have a look at what Johanni are meant to look like.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=2

Frenchy :sheep:

Sign in to follow this