mark_zx9

using sand as substrate

hi i was reading the comment earlier about using sand as a substrate as i am about to do this on my new setup myself and a few people were saying to wash the sand but if you add water to it i a bucket to wash it you are going to loose so much when you tip the water out cause it will become suspended in the water when you are tipping it out .

is it really needed to wash it or could you just put it in the tank and then just siphon off the dirt and dirty water after it has settled .

i just dont know if this way would work as that is what i was planning to do but now i am not sure. i am using stradbroke island white sand and it looks pretty clean already but i do expect there to be some dirt or shit in it but not much.

all advice helpful as i am hoping to get the take setup this weekend if i can

thanks mark

From what I can gather, it really depends on where you got the sand from as to how dirty it will be and how much washing it will take (if any).

Before you commit to putting the whole lot in the tank, take a cup of it add a few cups of water. This will give you a fair idea how your tank will look when you add the water.

From what I read the stradbroke sand is pretty good, but I know that the stuff I bought recently was a real mess. I had to wash it about 4 times, it still was too dirty to use but on the upside I didn't lose much of it (less than 10 %) in washing which is good for my son who now has a new sand pit :lol::lol:

Hey

I set my tank up with "noosa sand" as a substrate. It worked really well, ane i havent had to wash it AT ALL, (used it in three tanks). Cost me $5 for a huge bag of it, really cheap. I put newspaper on top of a bit and put the hose on that, then it didnt disturb it so much.

Beau

Ok If you swearl it around in the bucket

It will sit inthe water colum but only for a few seconds

Then it sinks back to the bottam and the sand that does not is realy fine and if not drained off can damage the impellar in your filters

And with 40kgs u might only loose a cup full

So its neather hear or there

Posums at lawnton sells the straty sand for $6 for 40kgs that will do a 4 foot

Andrew

so i guess the best thing to do is to give it a wash to be sure

bugger i didnt want to have to do that as i got 4 big bags dont think i will need it all but got more then enough to do this job and then more later

well i dont think i will be setting up tank this weekend now :lol:

as i am running out of time to do everything

thanks mark

Wash it mate. Anything that does not settle in the first couple seconds is stuff you don't want in your tank anyway. As said before it will end up in your pumps/powerheads and damage the impellors. It can be a big job washing the sand properly, I washed about 100kg of the stuff a while back to do a few of my tanks, took ages but didn't dirty the water at all when it went in.

Dave.

The fastest way to clean it is with a 10L bucket a bit under a quater filled with sand (less is definetly better), turn the hose on full throttle and let the water presure do the stiring, anything that overflows isnt worth keeping. About 5 minutes of waterwasting per bucket and it comes out crystal clear... trust me this is the easiest and fastest way

there's an article on cichlid-forum.com of this technique with pics

remember the more water you use the less work you have to do :twisted: ...im serious... ive done about 8hrs of it