Sign in to follow this  
Alasse

Fry Savers

What do you do for really small fry?

I have 2 net ones, but the angel fry can just go through the small holes. Can i use stockings to slip over the nets and make them small fry proof. Or do you have something else you use.

i would tend to think that if the fry saver net that you buy from a fish shop is too course then flyscreen would definitely be too course.

Perhaps try the stocking and see how you go, thats about as fine as your gonna get it :), just remember not to use fishnet stockings :egrin:

Thanx heaps guys..

The flyscreen maybe too large i think, they are such small little beasties. Still i will look into that for some larger fry for sure, neat idea.

I'll pick up some stockings this week, at present they are in a large jug floating in the tank *L* Not ideal, but safer

something that water, but nothing else gets through and I use a lot - pool filter socks

they stretch to like 1ft in any direction, so if you have a fry saver cage should be right :)

Pool filter socks are awesome, but I also use a model of my own creation that uses scotchbrite pads over the 'windows' rather than flyscreen. Very good for putting in tanks with aggressive fish that try suck fry thru, or for weak fry that need 0 water movement.

How about setting up a dedicated fry tank. I use a couple of small bare bottom 18"x9"x9" tanks for very small fry. A small heater and sponge filter is then all you need, provided you already have an air pump. I use air line hose to do daily water changes, use a couple of zip ties attach air hose to a chop stick so I can easily move it around the bottom of tank to suck up any uneaten food and fish waste and it's easy to manouver away from small fry.

Well i worked something out.

I was in hospital recently and they gave me some compression stockings to wear, horrid things *L* soooooo anyway my angels hid some eggs from me obviously and i only noticed fry today, so i was madly trying to figure out if i could save them. AHAH the stockings...was a blasted effort to get over the frame.....but woohoo works awesome!!!

So i have some in there and i've left some with mum & dad...hopefully one of us can get it right *L*

Good luck Alasse,

I've got the same problem but am trialling a bare bottom 2x1x15 wit a seeded sponge filter cuz my fry net it too course for them :(

They are sooo tiny, I can hardly c them :lol:

Edit: I was thinking of making a fry saver out of a white 4L ice cream container (Homebrand is they only white one) cuttin a widow on each side n using Black Flat Filter Sponge n placing a Venturi spray bar in the centre to constantly add fresh water ;) I have one already but wit flyscreen on the windows, works excellent for whiptails n bn :egrin:

But by the time I got to my LFS, they had shut :( so I was left wit my bare bottom tank :lol::lol: will try it on the next batch if this fails ;)

Thanks

Tim

Sign in to follow this