I made mine out of plywood same as the tank but 99% use acrylic or glass.

Another way would be to just buy a second hand fish tank and silicone in dividers. Some use those big plastic tubs from the cheap shops. I checked into that and they look to flimsy to me. I like things to be solid :?

If your wondering about pumps I'm using tota pumps which are pretty cheap and work ok although I do feel the LPH is well over rated on that brand. If your after something better the choice is huge.

One tip I'd like to give is that with the piping make sure you fix it well so nothing can come apart and the returns from the sump make sure there above or at water level or if the pumps fail your tank will empty on the floor.

:oops:

Sham

Looks like it will do the job to me. Is that a drip tray your going to run in the first partition ?

Looking around the web there are some very elaborate designs for sumps. Personally I like to keep things simple :wink:

Sham

I made a sort of spray bar for my sump from 40mm pvc. Size and number of holes have an effect on splash and flow. Shortly I ll make a cover to go over the front of the sump so no water can splash or evaporate out under the stand. The sump is a plywood 200L job. Heres a pic, pretty hard to tell that water is coming out of the pvc but it should give you guys the idea :wink:

Sham

picture324on9.jpg

Yes well you live and learn :wink: would have been wiser to seal under the stand and tank to make sure moisture didn't effect the timber. I can still do that of cause but not sure if any fumes will effect the fish above plus I would need the filter out of action to long for the sealant to dry. Best just to make a cover for the part of the sump under the tank... The amount of room I have to play with under the tank is limited as the stand is pretty short. I would have went higher with the stand but with a tank sitting on it thats 83cm high it would be to close to the ceiling and to hard to reach into. :roll:

I guess in that light a little evaporation under the stand is not so bad...

Hopefully this will help others with sump placement/stand design. It all comes into play sooner or later.

Sham

I watched a DVD the other night called 'cichlid instructional dvd' from a bloke called Paul Talbot where he explains the design of his majestic sump filter. It was good info for me as I knew nothing about how sump filters worked before I saw it :P It looked to be a straight forward & easy to clean design.