dditt

8x4x2 Setup with pics

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd throw up a bit of a work-log for my newly acquired tank. There is a severe lack of photos (i.e. none) during the lifting/moving stage as every hand on deck was needed to get this 700kg behemoth into the house in one piece.

It all started two weeks ago when I heard the dimensions of a tank muttered in the corner of my ear. 8x4x2.... 8x4x2, my room mate had heard the tank was up for sale at a great price so i jumped at the opportunity.

So with the offer of free beer and sausages, i convinced 9 other mates to pop around.

The tank is 8 foot long (2.4 metres), 4 foot wide (1.2 metres), 2 foot high (600mm high)

Made of 16mm glass for the sides, 20mm base and has 16mm bracing in each corner.

Stand is made of 55mm Tubular steel and has been completely over engineered, as has the tank, as you can tell by the thickness of the glass.

We got the tank in the house and had to flip it over, me being difficult wanted to paint the bottom.. as i don't plan on having substrate i wanted a nice clean look. So we cleaned it up and painted the bottom and back with matt black paint.

IMG_0529.JPG[/attachment:29br4sb2]

IMG_0527.JPG[/attachment:29br4sb2]

Then the stand needed a little sprucing up, so we sanded it back, and gave it a fresh coat of rust kill, gloss black. The stand has been out in the elements for a little while so has some minor surface rust which was sorted out with a wire brush and elbow grease.

IMG_0528.JPG[/attachment:29br4sb2]

This is as far as we got today, we have to let the stand dry and it will be moved inside sometime this week, then the mammoth water bill will follow.

Tank inhabitants:

So far i purchased the tank to house my Red tail catfish (40cm) as he is fast outgrowing his 4x2x2.

It will eventually have a few more large americans but for now,

a 40cm Flowerhorn and a 35cm sailfin pleco will be the only other tankmates.

To do:

lighting

driftwood/aquascape

build cabinet around steel stand

Filtration:

So far i am using what i have laying around, but i know this wont suffice for long.

Resun 2000litre p/hr internal filter

Aquaone 1800litre p/hr internal filter

Aquaone 1200 Canister filter

I want to keep the two internal filters for extra flow as the RTC likes the water flow. But i Will be adding a fluval Fx5 shortly and then possibly a 4ft sump. This will depend on how the water parameters go over the first few months.

All comments welcome, good or bad. More photos will follow in higher res. Thanks for looking

IMG_0531.JPG[/attachment:29br4sb2]

IMG_0532.JPG[/attachment:29br4sb2]

Nice tank dude its the perfect foot print.

Coming from someone that also has a tank this large..all im going to say is do everything right from the start..don't muck around with the filtration.

Drill the tank while its still empty. Get all your piping/plumbing done while everything is still easily accessible....then setup a sump. Don't mess around with multiple canisters especially if you are going to heavily stock it. Its a waste of time.

Thanks for the comments guys, im extremely happy with it so far :)

Dude that's sick massive what you going to stock in there? Some rays lol is this going ta be salt or fresh would get a sick looking reef in there ay. Nice tank man if you don't mind me asking how much I heard bargin so?

The post says wat the stock list is mate, about two thirds the way down :) freshwater

Nice tank dude its the perfect foot print.

Coming from someone that also has a tank this large..all im going to say is do everything right from the start..don't muck around with the filtration.

Drill the tank while its still empty. Get all your piping/plumbing done while everything is still easily accessible....then setup a sump. Don't mess around with multiple canisters especially if you are going to heavily stock it. Its a waste of time.

Fantastic dimensions. I also agree with Rowley, plumb that thing up now before you muck around with a heap of filters.

I realize a sump would be a shed load easier to do now, but to be honest, i've used them before and im not a huge fan... i know that goes against most peoples opinions but I'd much rather have canister filters looking after it.

I'm pedantic about water changes, as my 4' gets a 15% change every 3 days, and the tank is not going to be heavily stocked at all... 3-5 fish at the most, for the first 6 months atleast, it will only be the RTC, flowerhorn and pleco, and without substrate it will be easy to siphon every 3 days. I have an endless supply of cycled rainwater in my pond that i use for water changes so im not fussed about having to fill it once a week.

Its going to have a Fluval FX5 which is rated for a 1500 litre tank (this tank is 1650litres to the brim) plus the aqua one canister (rated for 350-400 litre tanks) and the two internals more so for flow then filtration. so i think ill be covered. But as i said, ill watch the parameters, and ill be happy to eat my words and fork out the extra effort to have it done later on if its absolutely necessary.

WOW!!!!

im so jealous :0

Great score, how much paint did you use ;)

haha not as much as i thought i would, i bought a litre but i still have about 300ml left, i only did two coats on the bottom and i'm doing a 3rd coat on the back today just incase it gets scratched in the move up onto the stand.

That is one epic tank...

Very good work getting this into your house I am extremely jelous!!!

Be careful with canister ratings... although they say the FX5 can filter a 1500L tank it is very overrated...

I had 2 FX5's running a 6x2x2.5 and they were just not up to the task, sumped the tank and never had an issue with water quality there after... This was doing 2 water changes a week.

Basically you will have 1700L of water in the tank, the FX5 will only flow 2500L/h at best (has been tested and proven), you need somewhere in the range of 6800L/h flow to turn the water around 4 times an hour.

If you are going to use filters anyway (and at the end of the day its your choice), i would reccomend an FX5 and the big Eheim combo as a minimum, as you are not going to heavily stock it anyway.

Good luck with it anyway, that is a monster tank!

The temptation to add fish after fish will be way too much haha. The tank with just those will look empty.

What you need to take into account is the amount of bio media needed not so much how many liters per hour a filter flows. The sump will allow you to have massive amounts of bio filtration which will deal with the waste your fish will produce. You are going to need it when your rtc maxes out and you are throwing a kilo of prawns in your tank for food every day :lol:

The temptation to add fish after fish will be way too much haha. The tank with just those will look empty.

What you need to take into account is the amount of bio media needed not so much how many liters per hour a filter flows. The sump will allow you to have massive amounts of bio filtration which will deal with the waste your fish will produce. You are going to need it when your rtc maxes out and you are throwing a kilo of prawns in your tank for food every day :lol:

haha yeah i know what you mean, but usually i have decent self control when it comes to my fish, i don't like adding fish for fear of overcrowding/annoying an existing tank mate, plus, there isn't much that can live with a RTC so I'm fairly restricted as is.

those three plus a big jaguar are all that are really on the cards... I'm pretty confident all will go well :) I do appreciate the input though!

No probs mate

I hope I didn't come across as telling you what should be done :lol: It is your tank and you should set it up how you want.

Good luck with it. :o

haha no not at all,, its all good.. its good to get other peoples opinions, i can be thick headed sometimes :P

Looks and sounds bloody awesome!

Makes me want a 8x3x4 :lol:

What will you be using to heat this through winter?

You do know elect is supposed to be going through the roof? :irked:

Steve

thanks mate! im not too worried about heating, i've got two 300w heaters that have been running my pond quite well (exactly the same size) since march and thats outside, so i figure inside, they should handle the job... but i more then likely will get a third (a jager) just so it runs a little more efficiently through the cold nights.

Steve

oh and steve... when i first heard about the tank, i was told it was an 8x3x4. And although those dimensions do sound good.. i honestly didnt know how we would move it.

that extra foot in height would have added more than 300kg in weight, more then 700litres in capacity... so not only would it have been almost impossible to move without a crane weighing over a tonne, it would of cost a fortune more in heating/filtration/lighting etc, so i was very glad to hear its only 2ft tall lol (added to that, my back door is 3ft 4 inches wide so it would of made that interesting)

Steve

oh and steve... when i first heard about the tank, i was told it was an 8x3x4. And although those dimensions do sound good.. i honestly didnt know how we would move it.

that extra foot in height would have added more than 300kg in weight, more then 700litres in capacity... so not only would it have been almost impossible to move without a crane weighing over a tonne, it would of cost a fortune more in heating/filtration/lighting etc, so i was very glad to hear its only 2ft tall lol (added to that, my back door is 3ft 4 inches wide so it would of made that interesting)

Too true :(

Might have to get it built on site :eureka: :eureka: :eureka:

Yeah right bloody missus would crack if I spent that kind of dosh :roll:

Started some minor aquascaping today, im in need of more driftwood though, have plenty of rock, but i want more mangrove root so if anybody has any :D pm me.

I silicone glued a peice of mangrove to the top of the tank so it hangs down, tomorrow it will be lifted onto the stand, then Thursday it should have water in it :)

Too true :(

Might have to get it built on site :eureka: :eureka: :eureka:

Yeah right bloody missus would crack if I spent that kind of dosh :roll:

haha yeah it took a little bit of convincing for my missus but it was a bargain that couldnt be passed up. And i dont plan on moving any time soon! whether i want to or not! lol

i wouldn't go over board with mangrove roots as they tend to have sharp edges big rtcs go nuts some times mine used to move 2-4kg rocks and they make a ugly sound when they hit the side of ya tank not cool and i have a 2m long piece of wood in my pond and he still moves it around

Awesome Awesome stuff mate!!! :egrin:

i wouldn't go over board with mangrove roots as they tend to have sharp edges big rtcs go nuts some times mine used to move 2-4kg rocks and they make a ugly sound when they hit the side of ya tank not cool and i have a 2m long piece of wood in my pond and he still moves it around

:esup: jaysus!

i went to Melbourne for the week so nothing got done, but its got water in it know and has been cycling since the day before i left for melb. I've dropped the big flowerhorn in and he seems very happy, his colours are already glistening compared to him being in the cold pond. I've also bought a 30ish cm Saratoga Leichardti, he's a very nice looking specimen so should fill the top of the tank space nicely. Will have more photos up tonight when all the filtration is attached properly and i get some lighting onto it :)

haha yeah good point, but i wasnt going to go too over board, maybe 2-3 medium size pieces, the rest is going to be large rocks around 6-8kg each that i already have.

any more pics dude? also a few people asked and im going to aswell...how much was this tank and stand dude.

just a ruff idea if its private, it just a few people whould want to get tanks this size but are scared of the price.

you said it was a bargin, how much so?

for those interested the tank was originally purchased for $7000 new... i paid about 10% of that...

on another note :D i finally managed some snaps that are half decent, bare with me as the camera im using is #$^%$ till my good one gets back.

So i got my lighting sorted today. Im using two 4 foot commercial fluro trophs (designed for office buildings etc), they currently only have the standard fluro's designed for use in the office so i will be replacing them with T5's shortly. I also have a 2.5 foot moonlight which works brilliantly on such a large tank.

As you can see in the full lit photos, tank is still a bit cloudy since i filled it to the brim with my pond water this morning, but its clearing up nicely and should be clear within a day or so :)