Sign in to follow this  
loomis

Algae bloom

As the topic suggests one of my tanks (4x2x2) is suffering an algae bloom. I dont know if the following info is relevant but here goes...

There is only one fish in it (saratoga) and the substrate is kept clean. It is fairly heavily planted with creek rock filling in the gaps. The algae is brown in colour, is mainly growing on the glass around the sides (bottom only) of the tank. On the creek rock it looks like thin hair, but still the same colouration.

The tank doesnt have a lot of current at the bottom of the tank (which is why I clean it so often). I have tested the PH levels and everything is normal (same as every other tank - but its the only tank with the algae problem). The light I am using on this tank is a twin bulb T5.

Now heres the bit where I am getting frustrated...

1) One person said its because I am giving it too much light.

2) One person said its because there isnt enough light (give it any more and I will kill the plants)

3) The same person told me to get some bristlenose catties (even after I told him I had a 35cm Toga in the tank.

4) Another person said its the PH, but its the same as every other tank, yet its the only tank suffering the problem.

Could someone please give me some helpfull advice!?!?!

I know I could just clean the glass all the time, but I shouldnt have to do it.

Mooch did you read his whole post lol

Ok couple of questions for ya?

How long are your lights on each day?

How much natural light gets into the same room each day?

How old are the globes in your light?

What do you feed your toga?

When you tested your water was it for PH only or did you test other readings?

Brad

Mooch did you read his whole post lol

Ok couple of questions for ya?

How long are your lights on each day?

How much natural light gets into the same room each day?

How old are the globes in your light?

What do you feed your toga?

When you tested your water was it for PH only or did you test other readings?

Brad

Lights are for about 9-10 hours a day. Cant remember exactly what time I set the time to turn on.

The front of the tank is in line with the side of a western facing window, but the window has an external canvas awning and thick curtains on the inside. There is another tank approx 2 mtrs away and no problems there.

The globes are not even 2 months old

The Toga gets fed on whitebaits...2 a day.

I have just tested the water again (Ph and nitrate) and as expected the nitrate levels are high. Are there any other things I should really be testing for?

Do you remember what type the globes are?

Also 9 to 10 hours is more then you need

I would be working on around 6 or so depending on how often your actually sitting there watching it

How high was the Nitrate?

How often do you change the water and clean the filters?

Brad

I will knock the lights back to 6-7 hours to see how that goes.

I cant remember what type the globes are, and couldnt be bothered pulling it all out to have a look...worked on it enough for today.

Just put new media into the filter, as I cant remember when I last replaced that. Water changes are fortnightly, with a filter clean done at the same time.

Sign in to follow this