FishyGirl

Cichlids skimming themselves across the bottom of the tank

We recently got ourselves some Malawi Cichlids and find that sometimes they skim themselves across the bottom of the tank.

Do they do this for fun or is there a problem ?

We have the following in our Malawi Cichlid tank 4ft x 18" x 15"

All of them are juveniles

4 x Yellow Tail Acei

5 x Electric Yellows

5 x Electric Blues

4 x Red Top Hongi's

1 x lonely rainbow shark

1 x very small BN

I want to get eventually 4 Iodotropheus sprengerae also know as Lavender Mbuna or Rusty Cichlids

Hubby thinks I have enough in the tank now, so to get another 4 cichlids would that be putting too much stress so to speak on the fish that I already have in the tank now.

Thanks again for your help especially about some of them skimming themselves, to me sometimes it looks like they are giving themselves a scratch on the pebbles.

Jane

Hi Jane,

Mine do the same thing. They only do it one or two particular spots in the tank. Just on occassion. I don't know much about them yet but with mine I feel it is a marking their territory thing. Also where they were doing it they have since cleared all the stones away and made a nest so to speak.

Teressa

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We had the Electric Blues and Yellows 1st then added the other fish, and even the new fish tended to do it as well. They don't do it all of the time, just every now and then and I suppose it is in the front of the tank where there they have a clear path, as at the back of the tank I have coral, shells and a big terracotta pot one of those strawberry ones with the bottom cut off so they like to swim in and out of all of the holes in it.

I did ask the guy Pete who we got the Acei from about it, but I wanted a few more opinions.

I haven't seen any white spots on any of the fish, so should I treat them for just in case, or just leave it be and take it that they are marking territory's.?

Also the number of fish I have in the tank is it ok and would it be ok to add another 4 fish at a later stage, as I want to get some Rusty Cichlids.

Again thank you for your help

Jane

check gh and kh of water,

i have herd this can be a cause if the level's are not appropriate

Ok this may sound really stupid but what is gh and kh ?

this link should explain most of what you need to know..

http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-chem.html

braddo also had a topic about Kh regarding pH also ..cant find it atm..but will have look when i get home

Luke

Thanks FIIK for your help.

Far as we know the last time we tested the PH it was within range for the Malawi Cichlids.

But we have never tested the General Hardness of the water. We only have tank water, so I might have to find out if our LFS tests water for the hardness.

Will check back on a web site that I use for water conditions for the Malawi Cichlids to see what the hardness should be for them.

Again thanks

Jane

Thanks FIIK for your help.

Far as we know the last time we tested the PH it was within range for the Malawi Cichlids.

But we have never tested the General Hardness of the water. We only have tank water, so I might have to find out if our LFS tests water for the hardness.

Will check back on a web site that I use for water conditions for the Malawi Cichlids to see what the hardness should be for them.

Again thanks

Jane

Just buy some Malawi Buffer salts follow the directions on the jar and it will be perfect :D

I would say it is something that is irritating them.
The flashing could be caused be external parasites.

I agree with these comments. All fish will have some parasites on them. Stress (usually from poor water quality, poor diet, getting harassed etc) will help them multiply and then they become an irritation, in larger numbers a problem. Some people treat while others say it's normal. Neither are wrong. I'd look at your water quality management first. What are your KH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels both in from the tank and the tap? What's your water change regime?

Africans scratch... they do it in the wild too i wouldnt worry about it :geek:

Thanks for letting me know, as our LFS also mentioned White Spot but they all seem to be clear no white spot at all. So I will stop worrying now and just accept it as it is something they do.

Jane

Bottom line is - your fish will do this even if they are in perfect health, in perfect water conditions.

Unless there is visible signs of external parasites or ich, or you believe your water parameters are not ideal, I would not worry.

There is no visible signs of parasites, nor white spot and the water conditions are fine, the only thing I haven't checked is the General Hardness of the water. But I have been told with tank water things should be ok.

We watch the fish quite a bit as they are in our dining room and we love to watch them etc.

Thanks everyone once again, you guys are just wonderful with your help and advice, I am ever so glad that I joined this forum.

Jane

Bottom line is - your fish will do this even if they are in perfect health, in perfect water conditions.

Unless there is visible signs of external parasites or ich, or you believe your water parameters are not ideal, I would not worry.

Depends on your definition of perfect :)

There is no visible signs of parasites, nor white spot and the water conditions are fine, the only thing I haven't checked is the General Hardness of the water. But I have been told with tank water things should be ok.
Please remember parasites aren't always visible to the naked eye. I'm assuming by "tank water" you are referring to rainwater? If so this is probably not ideal for your fish due to the lack of KH.

check gh and kh of water,

i have herd this can be a cause if the level's are not appropriate

Ok this may sound really stupid but what is gh and kh ?

this link should explain most of what you need to know..

http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-chem.html

braddo also had a topic about Kh regarding pH also ..cant find it atm..but will have look when i get home

Luke

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22920

found it :egrin: