Sign in to follow this  
nato83

Hey Everyone, Noob Here. Lol

Hey Guys and Girls,

I recently bought myself a fish tank and have become addicted. I have only goldfish in the first one however I am collecting 3 more tanks this week. One tank has An Oscar in it and the other has some tropical fish (2x Golden Comets, 2x Red Platy's, 1x Blue Platy)

Tank with Comets and Platy's in it-

PICS-

GetAttachment2.jpg

GetAttachment1.jpg

MEASUREMENTS:

Aqua One Tank - 34Litre with curved glass.

(36cm H, 36cm W, 23.5cm D)

Aqua One Stand (72cm H, 32cm W, 22cm D)

I will post some pics of the other tanks up

I am hoping to get some electric blues and some electric yellows in the black tank. Not exactly a fan of the oscar but i will on sell him when i work out what i wanna do with the tanks.

hey mate hope you enjoy this forum , great info on here , any help just ask can try and help out as much as i can

have one question though by the black tank do you mean the one pictured? hope not :? anyway hope you have fun here

Terry

Thats what i was wondering ;)

Also are you going to move the 2 comets to a pond or a bigger tank?

i just sold my tank (same model as yours) because its too small for any fish except guppies or something ahah. Some fish would be fine but not goldfish...

Nick :)

After some thinking about it all tonight i am thinking of moving my nine gold fish to the black tank and putting my oscar into the bigger tank that i have the goldies in atm.

You cannot put an oscar in a 34 lire tank. They need atleast 40 gallons each which i think is 160 litres. that tank is to small for ! goldfish. What size is the "black tank"?

yeah guys as mentioned earlier I am only new to this. I have this tank atm with 9 fish in it.

DSCN0229.jpg

From memory it took 140+ litres to fill. This will end up being our main display tank- once it has the goldfish emptied out of it i will be painting the hood and base black then reorganise the inside with rocks etc.

I am unsure how to set it all up as i will have an oscar to house as well as the platys and comets. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Below is a pic of the tank and the oscar i am collecting tomorrow night. As you can see the tank is rather small for the oscar as well. I wasnt 100% keen on taking the oscar but if i didnt the owner had no where to relocate it. So these are the 3 tanks that I have. In these tanks i need to house 9 goldfish, 2 comets, 4 platys, and an oscar. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I do have a pond in my yard but obviously with kids, the pond is empty atm. Any help is great guys

Oscarntank.jpg

Mate iw ould try find a new home for the oscar, none of your tanks are large enough.

Put the goldfish in the tank the oscar is in.

Put the platties in the 34L and

Put whatever you want in the tank the 9 goldfish are currently in. (Something small)

Nick :)

the 34l is too small for two goldfish let alone 9.

and the oscar needs lenght and width on a tank not height.

Put whatever you want in the tank the 9 goldfish are currently in. (Something small)

Would Electrics Yellows and Blues be ok in this tank? or discus?

Ive never had electric yellows or blue so someone else will have to awnser, but i dont think so.

As for discus i doubt it, it seems like a taller tank than wider which limits you stocking a little.

Lol i have an octagonal tank i took down the other day that looks similar in size..

Maybe try 2 dwarf gourami (neon blue/flame red etc)

Put them with a few (10?) neon/cardinal tetras and a piece fo driftwood & few easy to keep plants? would look great :)

theres a few other things you could have, Mollies are nice and come in a few different colours, Guppies come in some nice varieties and breed really easily, A few rainbowfish and plants would make a nice display?

Anything small and colourful really haha :P

Ok, well after reading up alot on here tonight as well as the feedback that people have left for me, I have decided to buy a 4ft tank and go from there. I wont restrict myself as much as i was with the other tanks. I have already committed to these tanks so hopefully I can move these one quick enough and regain some of the money spent. If not they will just sit for a while in the shed somewhere. I am hoping to have the 4ft tank set up tomorrow night ready to begin the cycle stage and once its ready then ill drop the fish into it. I will post up some pics of it all set up and then I will be asking for suggestions for fish based on how the tank has been set up. I am only new to this whole tropical fish scene and therefore my knowledge is still very limited. I do know that i am not a fan of the Plants in tanks and i will be placing rocks and a pirate ship ornament in the tank. I look forward to the suggestions on the lay out and the type of fish I should place in there as well. Once again thanks to all the people who have left feedback and helped me tonight.

Its great to come to a forum and even tho i know nothing at all bout fish- have people point me in the right direction.

Thanks again

I'm only new in this hobby as well and I have started off with americans until I became more experienced as they were easier to keep and breed I have learnt so much by just going through the old posts and asking questions

Good luck with it all

Dsp

The 4 foot would be a good african tank. What are the measurments. Kepping the comets with the platies is a bad idea as the platies need a heater and goldfish need coldwater.

Few tips for you mate , a tank can have 200L but its the surface area that matters most eg if the tanks 200L but a tall tank its not as good as a tank that has 200L and is low and wide ( has more width and length than hieght ) - ( just a rough guide for you ) , also never mix your tropicals with cichlids etc they wont last long ( would more than likely get eaten or badly beaten up ) , also just about all fish will need heaters even goldfish ( some types of goldfish will do fine without heaters )

Being new to fish i would go with tropicals ( maybe like what i have listed below ) as starters africans can be very aggressive for beginners and can put alot of people off fish with the death of fish from fighting etc , start simple and work your way up trying diferent fish ( thats how most people started).

imo this is the miniumin sizes i would go with the following for display tanks : ( just my opinion )

African cichlids - 4 foot - 4' x 15" x 18" ( depending on type but as adults will need to ugrade to bigger tanks )

American cichlids - 5 foot - 5' x 18" x 18" ( even though i'm not a yank fan or a keeper and have little knowledge with these but i'm sure as adults they would need a tank that is 2 foot wide and at least 5 foot long )

Tropicals like swords , mollies , platties , guppies etc -3 foot - 3' x 15" x 18"

( guppies on there own would go fine in a - 2' x 12" x 15" )

Goldfish - pond fish or -3' x 15" x 18" ( they can get to a good size )They are just the sizes i like to use and find them ok hope this helps

Terry

Hey guys, Last night i bought a 4ft tank and stand etc. It has come with the Filter but i need to buy a Heater as well as set it up with gravel etc ( hoping to get gravel and some stones for it tonight ) The dimensions of the tank are 4'x 18" x 18". I am wanting to put in some Electric Blues and yellows. Can someone give me some hints on the elec blues and yellows- how to keep them happiest etc and how many i should put in the tank as well as what size heater i should buy for the tank? I am very raw at all this guys so any help would be great.

another note on this- i am going to run some rocks in the tank and some coral but no plants ( i dont like the look of them ) should i just run a couple long air stones across the back of the tank?

In that size I would have 6 electric yellows, but I am not sure how big the electric blues get. I would recomend a mbuna species to go with the yellows. And you can't keep coral with cichlids. Coral is salt water while cichlids are fress, unless you meab dead coral which is exalant as it provides good buffering. In your tank I would hace 3 species and 6 of each.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. It will be dead Coral more for visual appearance. If it serves a purpose then even better. Ok taking in the suggestions, I have decided I will just run 6 Yellows and 6 Blues. If at a later date I wanna get more i can always add to it. But I am Going to try and buy the Fish one at a time from different places so that I get different Bloodlines. If i can get the tank all sorted out tonight then I should have a couple fish in it on Sunday and some pics up of my set-up. Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback tho. It has made a new hobby very easy to get into.

Dead coral is what you keep with these to help keep the ph high , i wouldnt reconmend mbuna with yellows even though yellows are mbuna unless you choose less aggresive mbuna , blues are haps and can be kept with these fine , haps are open water swimmers and mbuna are rock dwellers , i would be getting some crushed coral or calcium carbonate to use as substrate ( gravel ) which will do what the coral will do , anyway sent you a reply to your pm so good luck with fish keeping

Terry

Thanks guys, I picked up some gravel and some rocks for it all last night. I went to a few local aquariums today to get some bits and pieces. Air pump, heater, air line, fair size of dead coral, another 10kg of gravel and some Bio Netrivec. I put 100 ml in it and then put in my filter out of the Stretched Octagon tank into the 4ft tank to speed up the process to 3000lt per hour atm total. Once the tank clears up from the liquid bacteria and the new gravel i will drop the other filter back to the gold fish tank. Tomorrow i am thinking of putting the bigger 4 gold fish into it to help the cycle. I will post some pics once i am happy with the lay out (aquascape)

Thanks for all those how have helped out with information and recommendations so far. If theres anymore suggestions please fell free to tell me and help in anyway possible