Sign in to follow this  
loomis

Ground covering plants

I have a 4 x 2 x 2 tank with sand as the substrate, so when I try and get a half decent current flow across the bottom (to help stir up the junk) the sand gets moved around and it just doesnt go to plan.

So maybe a ground covering plant would help, as the way I am looking at it is the same way to prevent land erosion...the plants would help keep the sand together and then a current flow could be introduced.

So any ideas on a ground covering plant, that doesnt require mowing all that often? I do like the look of hairgrass, but by what I have read it takes a bit more maintanance to get it right...is there anything easier out there?

Riccia is an old fav of mine but high maintenance as a groundcover. Hairgrass is easy to grow and looks awesome as a lawn. I always use it as a groundcover in at least 1 of my planted tanks. Loves lotsa light.

Shaun

You first problem is that plants need light - and your tank is 2 foot deep - that is a long way for light to penetrate. I would suggest chain swords - typically you puy them with emersed growth and they have bulbous leaf, but that will die of and you will get a grass looking plant about 4 inches high.

The other alternatvie would be a crypt of some sort - depending on light conditions.

The other plant you might want too look at is the lilleopsis I think thats how you speel grows like a lawn to about 4cm high med to high light. Aboslute magic when in good condition.

i use a steady growth of echinodorus tennelus ( gotta wait for new growth) in my trop tanks which are cheap to get n readily available from the right store where i get 3-plant-chains for $2. i love ground cover plants put in order to reduce mulm build up you have to incorporate extra water flow in build up areas, particularly if your gravel is small n fine.

x