trentflanders

Compatibility Frontosa and Africans ?

Hey everyone,

I hear fronnies take ages to grow up, so i was wondering if i put one in a african tank 3 ft x 15 " x 18" with 1 male eureka red (6- 7 cm) 2 blue dolphins (very shy and about 6 cm) 1 electric yellow about 4 cm and 5 peppermints ranging from 4 - 9 cm yer i no big gap but i got 4 diff bloodlines so its sweeeet.

If you think it would be alrite for these fish to mix i would definately look at getting one, if not thats life.

Also has anyone else kept these i think they are the burundi frontosa, i so let me no of any problems or issues with keeping these fish together, i have heard of interbreeding with fronnies and blue dolphins but that is about it...

trent

I personally wouldn't mix Frontosa with Malawi cichlids...

I have seen plenty of people that do mix Tangs with Malawi's and dont have a drama, but you aren't able to give both fish their optimum water conditions.

In reality your tank is too small for both the Frontosa and the Blue dolphins already.

Also, Frontosa like to be in groups and do much better with more than just one in the group (I prefer to sell or buy Frontosa fry in a group of 6 at least).

Anyway, these are my opinions, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will say its fine... but there is a difference between fine and optimum in my opinion.

I agree with KaiShin because frontosa are a bit slow so they may not able to compete food with malawi cichlids unless you mixture of floating and sinking pellets together so that fronties can get the sinking plus they need higher PH than Malawi, frontie need minimum of 8.6 or higher and 7.8 to 8.6 for most Malawi. I recently seperated all my fronties and Gold comp out from malawi tank. It's all up to you if it's for a short term then it's ok but for the long term then I wouldn't. Cheers :!::!::lol:8)

You can mix them qiute well but as was said its food time that can cause problems , fronnies dont need 8.6ph around 7.8-8 is fine , ( maybe if you have wild caught higher ph maybe needed ) but most fronnies that are captive bred can easily handly the same ph as malawi's i have had many tangs with malawi"s with no problems ( like Neolamprologus tretocephalus, Limnochromis Auritus, 6 and 7 bar fronnies ) but also some of the smaller tangs dont mix well . They will be fine if feed right but down the track you may want to split them off into there own tank but the choice is yours just make sure they get there fair share of food

Terry

Het If you can manage to get a fronnie larger the your biggest fish at the moment say 8 or 9 cm you shouldnt have a problem, but you will need to upgrade in the next 6-8 months, I find when they are fry and you put them in with fish bigger then them they will struggle for food, Most African can be kept and bred successfully at a ph of mid 7's without a problem as they have come from captive bred fish and if you get it from a LFS Im pretty sure it will be a ph of around mid 7's.

Cheers Matt

Hey, Ive got a 7bar fronnie in my all male (mainly) malawi tank ive started about 5mths ago - theyre all juvis right now. Now i read this thread I do think hes prob the slowest in the tank however when i feed them (morn & night) he gets in on the action & I make sure everyone gets their fair share. He holds his own well and seems happy with the malawis. I have coral grit substrate and coral in the tank for my ph.

Hi DaBitFishy,

My 7 bar Kigoma was fine with a whole bunch of bigger lone African and American males including Festae and Venestus......... until I went away and starved 'em for 2 days, he wasnt even recognisable when I got home.

Cheers

Henzo