japes

Orange Head Growth over 12 months

Hi guys, I put this together quickly on another forum and thought I would share it here.

----------

I purchased my Geophagus sp. "Araguaia Orange Head" colony at around 3-4cm in length on February 4, 2009, and sold them on January 27, 2010, with the dominant males at around 5.5" TL.

In chronological order, here's their growth (without figures). There's probably a substantial gap or two in there but this is all I've got.

February 5, 2009:

japes1.jpg

japes3.jpg

February 26, 2009:

japes4.jpg

japes5.jpg

March 15, 2009:

japes6.jpg

japes8.jpg

April 7, 2009:

japes10.jpg

japes11.jpg

July 20, 2009:

So a couple of months since the last update, red heads really starting now.

oh1.jpg

oh3.jpg

September 12, 2009:

Another couple of months, showing full colouration on some males now.

2.jpg

3.jpg

ohs1.jpg

October 22, 2009:

oh2.jpg

oh5.jpg

oh4.jpg

November 18, 2009:

Now spawning every fortnight - can't tell I purchased the DSLR here :P

oh1.jpg

oh3.jpg

December 7, 2009:

03.jpg

January 1-2, 2010:

Just before they went, the last good photos I have of them.

oh3.jpg

ohsift1.jpg

ohhts.jpg

Pretty amazing what happens over 12 months with such a gorgeous species.

These fish were on a high quality diet, but I think growing up with dithers, for the most part Lemons and Golden Pencilfish, had a positive impact.

Twice weekly waterchanges for the first 3 months, fed on NLS Crushed H2O Wafers, Crushed Thera+A, Cichlid Formula and Grow until they were large enough to easily consume 1mm pellets (which they were on as adults, small food is important). Hikari Bio-Pure frozen as regular treats, I fed Mysis Shrimp, Spiraluna Brine Shrimp and Bloodworm at the time (I've since ceased Bloodworm), as well as shelled and diced peas, diced cucumber and zucchini for vege matter. They were frustrating as they would demolish any vegetables apart from pumpkin that were put in for the Catties that I kept at the time.

pH 7, 4dgH 4dkH, with 26 degree temperatures over winter ranging to 28-30 in summer as well, for those interested.

Very nice series of shots and great to see their development over time. Terrific looking fish. Just curious what size tank did you keep these in over that time?

There were in a 5'x15"x20" for the entire time. I originally grew out 11, to keep 3M 3F.

Nice work... so does that mean we'll see these pics on eartheaters australia soon? :ooh: ;)

It certainly needs an update, the leucosticta section as well :oops: