It seems quite a few people are getting rid of their africans and wtb americans. there seems to be a lot people in search of some yanky fishes. Seems that winter has bought on the new taste in fish. I dunno I may just be imagining things. I hope im not. I love the yank fishies.

Haha cool to be poor. Yeah I have kept africans and im just not a fan. My americans come straight up to the and look like they would swim up to if they could. The africans just swam around like colourful goldfish.

How do you get on with Texas, etc in summer. In the heatwave of 2000 (I think it rose to 41d), I lost all my central americans overnight but the S americans survived. I've not kept Centrals since.

kev

How do you get on with Texas, etc in summer. In the heatwave of 2000 (I think it rose to 41d), I lost all my central americans overnight but the S americans survived. I've not kept Centrals since.

kev

i havnt had him through the summer yet. the tank is downstairs an its alway quite cool down there, a friend of mine freezes milk bottles full of water and places a couple of them in his tank, havnt tried it myself personally.

me likes all fishys me owns american and africans

but bout the frozen water bottles there was a debate bout that a while ago on this forum ..seems fans were better well worth a read ..it be a far way back ...but some interesting info may help ya lotts

My fish room faces west so gets the hot afternoon sun in summer. tried both fans across to top

& frozen 2ltr coke bottles, found the fans worked best,because the warm water in the tanks thawed out the ice with little to no change in tank temp, for the frozen bottle to be effective you would need to throw a heap in & keep replacing them as they thawed out which is not really practicle. A fan across the top of the water & good air ciculation in the room & you should be sweet.

My fish room faces west so gets the hot afternoon sun in summer. tried both fans across to top

& frozen 2ltr coke bottles, found the fans worked best,because the warm water in the tanks thawed out the ice with little to no change in tank temp, for the frozen bottle to be effective you would need to throw a heap in & keep replacing them as they thawed out which is not really practicle. A fan across the top of the water & good air ciculation in the room & you should be sweet.

Thanks for that. Not a fan of ice bottles in the water as the fish can chill. What concerns me is that Brisbane averages above 30D for at least 28 days a year and last summer I read my garage, where I'm hoping to set up breeding tanks, at over 35 on at least 9 days. Fans and ventilation seem the go. I won't get into the ethics of keeping fish at temps above their normal habitat as I've seen some heated arguments surrounding this before :roll:

kev

Hey Mate, No luck with the Trimac yet ! I declare shenanigans.. :) Yeah i got the paint of allright, took bout 20 mins.. I went for a blue background this time, i put a reef style background on the outside on the back and painted the difference with bluepaint. I think it came up good.. where heading to brissie in two weeks, hoping to have a good look around for americans then.. Take it easy Steve