Hi All,

Bought my first heater a month or so ago, never really needed one up here in Nth QLD but i bought one to assist with treating a whitespot outbreak. (successfully)

Now ive got, im gonna use it.

My question is, what is the prefered temp for a American community tank ? and should i have seperate summer temps and winter temps?

Thanks

Brendan

Brendan,

Being a community tank i would keep it between 24-28c, i wouldnt bother heating it during summer that would be a waste of time and money, just in winter to keep your min. temp above 24c. i would personally run its temp at the lower end of the scale as it will be cheaper (cost less for electricity) and allows you to raise the temp if you get whitespot, want to induce your fish into spawning / breeding, etc.

hope this helps

CAV

Brendan,

Being a community tank i would keep it between 24-28c, i wouldnt bother heating it during summer that would be a waste of time and money, just in winter to keep your min. temp above 24c. i would personally run its temp at the lower end of the scale as it will be cheaper (cost less for electricity) and allows you to raise the temp if you get whitespot, want to induce your fish into spawning / breeding, etc.

hope this helps

CAV

If he's already bought the heater, it wouldn't cost him any more (electricity) as with the temps up there, the heater thermo wouldn't kick it in.

kev

If he's already bought the heater, it wouldn't cost him any more (electricity) as with the temps up there, the heater thermo wouldn't kick it in.

kev

Yes but the hotter the temp the heater is set at, the more energy the heater will consume. eg. a heater @ 28c will consume significantly more power than one that is set to 26c, its like ur a/c at home if you set it to 24c they are relatively cheap to run but when you set them at a lower temp they consume more energy and therefore cost more to run.

http://www.qldaf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3519

this is from that post

"Heating an aquarium can also be expensive. The larger the tank the more heat is required. Further, a tropical fish environment usually requires a higher water temperature making it more expensive to heat compared to non-tropical fish tanks. For example, a 30 Gallon tank heated at 72 F (22 C) will consume approx. 110 kWh per year. The same tank heated at 82 F (28 C) will consume about 440 kWh per year. That is 4 times as much!"

this is what i was meaning in my first post.