hey guys just wanted to introduce my self. i do believe ill be spending a lot of time here since i discovered it.

i myself am farily new to aquariums and fish keeping but am fast growing into a fanatic. started off with a small 30L tank with some platys mollies and tetras but i soon got tired of it and ventured out into the world.

i had been told and seen Oscars and was really keen on them but due to budget restraints i couldn't get a tank that would be accommodating. instead i set for African cichlids. i love the colors and behaviour that they show.

my tank is ~40gallon which i rockscape'd a background myself and built my own stand

current stock is: 3x electric yellows, 3x johanni, 1x maingano, 3x "zebra's" (shop said crimson tides but i see no crimson), 3x otter point peacocks and 1 Nimbochromis venustus

as im fairly new to this im always wondering if i am doing the right things and have the right setup. the tank is filtered by a 1200l/hr canister with wool/bio noodles/carbon in that layerd order, heater is set to 27/28 degrees C. Ph is about 7, nitrite 0ppm, nitrates 40ppm, ammonia between 0-0.25ppm and hardiness 180. i do weekly water changes and feed them high vegi flakes and clichid excel pellets. every now and again i treat them to a bloodworm tab or some guppu/shrimp fry i catch down the local creek.

so here's some photos let me know what you think and if im doing anything wrong. and i look forward to been a part of this forum

xbbgop.jpg

of8t5j.jpg

5egvno.jpg

crappy digital camera so not the best pic's

Hi dekes and welcome to the forum

I am also new to keeping fish and have also just set up an Malawi African Cichlid tank.

I would double check about the blood worms, as I was reading a book on the Malawi Cichlids and it said to steer clear of blood worms as it

could cause stomach problems. So maybe hold off on those until one of the experience Malawi Cichlid members possibly could let us

both know if it is ok or not.

Enjoy the forum as I have found the members here fantastic and are always ready to give advice and help as I am always asking questions

and get the help I need, as I found sometimes googling doesn't always help answer the question where as the members here are full of years of

experience.

Jane

Hey mate, all sounds pretty good. Maybe just a couple things.

As Fishygirl said try to stay away from Bloodworms...You might not ever have a problem and lots of people don't, but they can get a bit bloated sometimes from them. Shrimp fry sounds good, or go for brine shrimp, mysis shrimp.

A pH of 7 is probably a little low, I like to keep mine at at least 7.4, but if you can, just get your hands on some corral and chuck it in the filter, it should buffer the water to stay around 8.

40ppm nitrates is a bit high. How much of the water do you change per week? And you might have to think to add another filter on there. Amonia should stay at 0. And as your fish grow your current filter might start to struggle. Might even be ok if you just buy a 1200-2000lph power head with a bit of foam as backup. And then get some matrix to put in your canister to help with your Bio...whats currently in there?

on a retest of the PH with a more accurate tester i am getting defiantly higher than 7.8 i do water changes once a week but i do get distracted at times and not get to it. water changes are about 25% would you suggest more? as for filter material i use chemicarb, fairly large ceramic bio noodles and wool. there is plenty or rock in the tank and the background is painted with cement which i was told both would naturally buffer my PH. ammonia has been really good for me so far, i was hoping i wouldnt have to get another filter, would more frequent and higher volume water changes do?

im also finding that when i do a water change i turn the filter off ( water levels drop to far for pressure to flow) after doing the clean and change i turn the filter back on and the outlet spits a heap of crap back into my tank like white cloudy flakes? so irritating if i have a lapse of concentration and forget to put a net under to catch the bulk of it. forcing a re clean.

my tank is ~40gallon which i rockscape'd a background myself and built my own stand

the tank is filtered by a 1200l/hr canister with wool/bio noodles/carbon in that layerd order, heater is set to 27/28 degrees C. Ph is about 7, nitrite 0ppm, nitrates 40ppm, ammonia between 0-0.25ppm and hardiness 180. i do weekly water changes and feed them high vegi flakes and clichid excel pellets. every now and again i treat them to a bloodworm tab or some guppu/shrimp fry i catch down the local creek.

Hey mate welcome aboard!

40Gal ~ 151 litres so im guessing a 3 foot tank? that size would be fine for a couple of oscars my biggest concern would be the lack of filtration -much better to have too much than too little! You have a cannister which is a good start as you need the surface area to provide adequate filtration. On my 3 foot setups (1-2 Americans in each) I run 2000lph cannisters plus 1800lph internal powerheads. (mines circulating 25 times an hour vs your 8)

Carbon is a waste of time after the tank has cycled use purigen instead.

Be wary about using feeders from the local creek, of you wouldnt swim in it dont put it in your tank! there is a risk of contaminating your healthy cichlids with some crap creek gudgeon! :lol:

thanks for the advice to all much appreciated,

fishhead, ill look into the purigen, i put the carbon in there to clean the water at the begining, hadnt given much thought about changeing it up. i would love to put more filters in there but due to budget restraints its just not possible at the current time. i always see kids swimming in the local creek and most familys go canoeing in there, but i was very hesitant about the feeders haven't done it since the 2nd time.

ive stopped feeding bloodworms. currently i feed them HBH Frenzy flake and Hikari Cichlid excel. throwing in what i pick up first or both at once.

Hi Dekes

Welcome to the forum!

You do have crimson tides in your tank. ;)

As for the filtration, I would agree with other members, more is better!

There are always cheap canisters going here!

Varied food is best also.......(just not from your local creek!)

Steve :mrgreen:

welcome to the forum mate... ya tank looks great. as for ya crimson tides i believe they could be females as im pretty sure the females dont get much of the colouring. well thats wat mine look like . just watch out , this stuff becomes addictive. you start with 1 tank then 2 tanks then before u know it ya got a house full of em wondering where they all came from lol. if u after purigen try redlands pet centre. give extremely good discounts if u tell them ur a forum member. check out the sponsor section :) good luck with it all.

cheers jay.

Welcome to the forums.

Contrary to FishHeadSoups advice, I have to say that Oscars are in no way suitable for 3' tanks as adults - they have the potential to grow to 16" (40cm) which is getting on towards half the length of the tank.

I wouldn't be too concerned with your Ammonia readings, the kits can appear slightly green when they are in fact yellow, indicating 0ppm Ammonia. Sounds like the tank is fairly well established.

Hahahahahahaha yeh well not as adult fish but most ppl upgrade when they realise the tanks not big enough lol ive got a 6 inch Tiger oscar in with a 7 inch fenestratus in a 3 foot tank with massive filtration n they r fine for the moment when i get my 8 footer they will be going in the community tank ;)

sorry that was probably a bit mis-leading...

Scott