Hi guys,

I have a Silver Scat with a furry white covering, which can only be seen when light is shining on him at an angle... I can't see it when he's side on. It's probably 1-2mm thick and covers most of his body and fins. He's spastic as, racing around, and seems very unhappy. He is eating, but not as eagerly as usual. No other fish in the tank seem to be affected, although some of them flash regularly. Water is fine, gets changed twice a week including a gravel vac. Any ideas what it could be? I know it's hard to say without photos, but it wouldn't show up on a photo even if I was able to get him still for a second.

I'm treating him with Fungal-Ade from Wardleys (I've also added 1TBL spoon of salt per 20L and turned the heater up to 28deg), as per the LFS advice. They thought it might be 'Velvet' just from a description, but I'm out of ideas as to what it is! :|

Any help would be appreciated!

Could be a fungal infection, as long as your medication has malachite Green, Methylene Blue, Acriflavine or a combination of those things that will help combat fungus/velvet/white spot.

Just make sure you have enough o2 and water change and repeat every few days.

I'd add more salt than that, or do full strength marine water dips

I'd also leave the temp at 24

but then its sounds bacterial to me

and I cant actually see it to be sure, nor do I know the other species sharing the tank

keep an eye on the nitrite

scats are delicate against nitrite

Unless it is comprised of distinctly golden or copper coloured spots, it's not velvet. If you can see salt grain sized white dots scattered at random then it's white spot. It sounds like it may be white spot followed by secondary fungal where the cycsts have fallen off because you mention "furry". I wouldn't mess around with the half-assed cheap drugs, go straight for the "Waterlife" range.