hey guys just wondering wat your opiniun on the hikari algae wafers

i feed them to my bristlenose and am just wonderin is there an alternate product that is the same quality

to be feedin bn

i dont have a problem with the hikari just gets a bit expensive to buy all the time

any help or info you have would be greatly appreciated

cheers pete

Hey Tech Den,

Yeah both Pete n I buy them in the 1kg bags. From memory we got the last lots from Russel at Redlands for $70/kg.

There is no comparison between the cheaper discs n the Hikari. U can smell the difference, hikari hav a really strong algae odour as the cheaper ones ( $10/kg) don't really smell. My fish personally won't eat the cheaper stuff. I've tried n after a day I'm removing them untouched. I'm more than happy to buy Hikari, but as pete said if their is a product of similar or better quality cheaper, I would deffinately give them a go :egrin:

Hey Pete - have you tried buying it in bigger quantities as in a kilo bag of Hikari Algae Waffers will be under $80? I put some in a container and the rest in the fridge.

hey tech

like wat sort of quantity are we talking like 5kg or 10kg as i would have to organize to ppl to buy some off me but i am interested and any help/advice ppl have

is appreciated

cheers pete

I too have pondered this question,

I have tried some of the homemade algae wafers and my fish do not touch them. and the hikari wafers always cloud my water because i have to put in so many.

I did try the nutrafin algae wafers a while back and they were fantastic, had that algae smell and if you have a look on the back i'm 99% sure they contain more spirulina than hikari and less crap.

and best of all the fish loved them, you can stick them to the side of the tank, and no matter how many i threw in they didn't cloud the tank. I'd deffs give them a go pete!

you can stick them to the side of the tank!

Same with frozen food blocks - funny to watch the fish swarm them :lol:

I find HBH wafers to crumble up a lot leaving a bit of a mess - not cloudy though.

I have been using Prestige Veggie Pellets and just about all my fish go nuts for them.

Buying in bigger lots is better though and you can sell what you don't need.

Iv had better experiences with the cheap algae wafers rather than the hikari.

I found the hikari wafers did have a stronger smell, but my BN didn't go for them, they ate them, but it was just kinda grazing, where they go crazy over the cheapies.

My main complaint though (beside being 10x more expensive) is that the Hikari fell appart and made a big mess of my tank, even though it claimed they wouldn't on the pack.

Im sure the Hikari are better on paper, but for my wallet and my fish the Bulk el-cheapo is the way to go.

Best of luck

Jesse

Been feeding Hikari to my peppers for a week now and the following morning there's just a heap of crap on the tank floor.......tried siphoning it off but it floats all over the place if you disturb it. All they've had for the week is a munch on a log........wasn't going to give in and spoil the buggers :lol: .........shoulda saved me money for something better :roll: Can't be arsed chopping up zuchinni for 'em for the rest of my days :lol:

kev

I have used several brands of cheaper Algae discs/wafers and the NLS product over the years on my Pepps and other catfish and have found the Hikari Algae Wafers fine just dont put a heap in (they don't need alot), the Sera Catfish Chips I found worked well too, seemed to get them out to feed. I don't feed everyday. :) Cheers Keepinitreal.

Been feeding Hikari to my peppers for a week now and the following morning there's just a heap of crap on the tank floor.......tried siphoning it off but it floats all over the place if you disturb it. All they've had for the week is a munch on a log........wasn't going to give in and spoil the buggers :lol: .........shoulda saved me money for something better :roll: Can't be arsed chopping up zuchinni for 'em for the rest of my days :lol:

kev

Hey Kev,

How much wer u feeding them? Edit: It may take a little bit for them to change over, try feeding less until they start eatin them n u will b able to gauge how much they eat :) I break the discs up wit my fingers to spread out the food better n less fightin ;)

My Peps, Longfins, shortfin bns absolutely go nuts on hikari n never leave any trace of them. I do however have 2x 3cm L201's which won't eat hikari n leave the little piles but go nuts on my home made fry powder (a bit of every dry food ground up in a coffee grinder ;) ). I guess it's wat they r bought up on. I haven't tried the NSL but will grab some next time I'm at Russ's :) (won't b for a little while, went their yesterday n stocked up :o )

Dont know if this helps much but I have Peps/commons,albinos and marbled B/N and have tried a few different types of wafes and dif food but for my 2 cents worth I buy some cheap wafes from my local (come in plastic takeaway container Med for $12) and mine love them "but" I only feed wafes every second day and I throw in some flakes with them and I alternate with cucumber and zucini and blanched mixed fancy lettuce and baby spinach. They seem to thrive on this feeding routine and I only feed at night.

As for picking up un eaten wafersand excess poop I use clear tubing (from syphon) and wrap it around one of my long handled nets and have tube poke through handle, by doing this I find it easy to clean up with little fuss. If the tank is a real mess due to me going away i simply swurl the tank (after pumps and filters are off) and then let settle for 10-15 min then it is in a neat pile.

Hope that helps

Johno

Slightly off topic but i try to feed my pepp and long fin algae wafers but the silver dollars eat them first.How can i feed the pepp and longfin without other fish eating them?

Richie

i drop my wafers pellets etc through a plastic tube to by pass my silver dollars,simple, cheap and effective.