kelpied

How long does filter material last

I use dacron in my canister and change it out about every 2 weeks.

Wat type of filter u running Matt? Must get expensive changing every 2weeks

I leave my external cannister filters for 3months. I wash the media (bio sponges, noodles, matrix) in tank water n replace my white filter wool (cheap as not worth washin). Set it back up wit tank water n off it goes for another 3months. Have accidently forgot bout one n it went for 5months without a clean but still kept all :fish: alive :oops:

Once a month I would say. It probably wouldn't need to be done so often but for the fact that my tank is pretty heavily stocked and I do it in an effort to reduce nitrates.

I just take the baskets out. Hose off the bio media with (fish) tank water. Hose out my side basket sponges under regular tap water to get all the crap out of them. And hose out the canister bucket with tap water.

I also have an aqua one cf 1200 running on the same tank, but I don't run any fine white filter material in that, just sponge that comes with it. I pull that down about once a month also and pretty much do as above.

ONCE A MONTH!!!! WTF!!! why do you clean your filter out?...... i clean the prefilters out once a month, but i would only clean my sumps once every year or two if the flow was restricted.

What point are you trying to make exactly when comparing a canister and a sump?

You clean out your pre filters (mechanical filtration) once a month, which is exactly what I do.

I clean it out because, as I said earlier, my tank is heavily stocked, and it is done in an effort to reduce nitrates.

I hose off the media because to get to the mechanical filtration you have to pull down the baskets anyway, and I do it at the same time as I am doing a water change. So the process takes about 2 minutes of my time when I am standing around waiting for the tank to empty anyway.

WTF IS THE BIG DEAL!!!!!!!! ? :lol:

surely you have a prefilter on your canister though, saves alot of disturbing your filter, nitrates are removed by water changes, by disturbing your filter so often your filtration would be going through a mini cycle everytime you do it, whether you got a sump or a canister.

surely you have a prefilter on your canister though, saves alot of disturbing your filter, nitrates are removed by water changes, by disturbing your filter so often your filtration would be going through a mini cycle everytime you do it, whether you got a sump or a canister.

Give me strength......

If you mean a pre filter on my canister intakes. Then the answer is no.

But can you not see the logic in removing a cause of the nitrates? 2 months of poo instead of 1, is twice as much shit raising my nitrate levels! My aim, for the third time, IS TO KEEP THE NITRATES DOWN!

My tank would be going through a mini cycle? Right.... that's a big assumption to make considering you have no grounds to base your claim on.

I'm sorry, but you are simply wrong, I am not having a mini cycle every time I clean my canister.

- My ammonia and nitrites don't rise above 0.

- The bio media is being cleaned in tank water, so why would it have any effect on the bio bacteria.

- It is estimated that it takes at least a month for bio bacteria to establish on media anyway. So there probably isn't any or only minutes amounts on the sponges I am cleaning under tap water.

- If your judging your assumption on nitrate levels.... the media that I am cleaning would not harbour anaerobic denitrifying bacteria anyway.

Hope that helps to clear things up for you.

good luck with that, i cant say i have any probs with filter filling up with sh!t, doesn't matter how stocked the tank is/has been. clean the crap out before it reaches the filter and you wont have no probs with nitrates, sounds like laziness sorry

good luck with that, i cant say i have any probs with filter filling up with sh!t, doesn't matter how stocked the tank is/has been. clean the crap out before it reaches the filter and you wont have no probs with nitrates, sounds like laziness sorry

Mate, I really have no idea what your deal is and why you have taken such an exception to my maintenance routines? I wasn't even asking for any advice.

I don't like running pre filter sponges on my intakes for various reasons, and I don't have a problem with cleaning my canister out!

Not wanting to fit pre filters and cleaning out my canisters instead sounds like laziness to you? That's really a pathetic excuse to have a dig! Especially considering it takes more effort to do it my way!

i'm not having a dig.....why do you take offence so easily.....all i said is that i couldn't understand why the need for so many filter cleans when the crap should not get to your filters with the daily water change it should be removed. you say you want to drop your nitrates but yet you are happy for the sh!t to get to your filters........sounds irish...lol

Haha, I get offended because you are condescending, and it shits me. :x

I don't want to do daily water changes. I am happy with weekly.

The fish waste gets in to my filters quicker then I could remove the poop with a daily water change. It's not like it floats around in the tank all day.... ? So I don't really see the purpose of a daily water change (other then to reduce nitrates, which I can do with my weekly water change) seeing as all the shit is in the filter not the water.

I don't want to use a pre filter because I think they are restrictive. They look like shit. All the poop they collect sits in them, and when you take them out of the tank, the shit comes out of them and floats back around the tank if you don't put them in a container or something when taking them out of the tank. And I couldn't be bothered getting the hood and lids off the tank (which I would need to do) all the time to reach down and take out the the pre filters properly in a container because its a pain in the ass.

each to thier own hey, I guess it would depend what is in the tank aswell, if there are plants and substrate there would be good reason not to want to be sticking a hose in and around every nook and cranny every day. I find that the getting rid of fishwastes daily works for me, but all my tanks are bare bottomed so i can easily see the junk, when i want to clean a pre filter, a simple cup over the sponge disconnect and lift it out...works a treat. the prefilter sponge is only coarse so it doesn't block easily, lucky fish turds arent small...lol

Yeah that is another reason Clayton, I find my purigen fouls a lot quicker the less often I wash out sponges, and change out fine filter media.

And Rex, yes, each to their own. Just because something works for you doesn't mean it is ideal for me. In fact, it might even work terribly well for me, so maybe you should consider that before assuming your way of doing things is the best.

You run a bare bottom tank.... I run sand..... of course it is going to be easier for you to syphon shit out.

My tank is 2.5 high, and about 170cm at the top of the hood. To effectively syphon out of my tank, I would have to take the hood off completely, take the lids off, get up on a step ladder, and reach down pretty deep or have a long piece of piping at the end of my hose. Not something you want to do every day.

For this reason I run 2 x 5000 lph wave makers to keep shit off the bottom of the tank because it is hard to get at.

I apologise for being short with you, but I know what I am dealing with, understand the logic and theory behind it, and know what works best for me; so I suppose I didn't appreciate someone telling me, based on no knowledge of my setup, when I know what works, that I am doing it wrong. Especially when I didn't ask for their advice in the first place.

well after cleaning filters every 2nd day and water changes every day (suck poop up thats it lucky to be 5% change ) i thought id let it go a little bit longer pppppffffftttttt lost ova 200 lf bn fry neva again ill stick to wat works for me i think......

so it comes down to wat works for u works ...

Lol..... i never said you were doing it wrong. I jsut was curious as to why you needed to clean filters so often....all good anyways matt :) . I work in noosa quite often....should catch up for a beer mate

Hahaha, I dunno, the way you wind me up, I don't know if I could deal with it!

Anyway mate, all good. Probably my interpretation of what you were was half the problem. But yeah, I like beer, I've got a lot of time for it. :egrin: