I am curious to know if i fit a PVC U-Pipe between to tanks, and remove all the air from the pipe, will it keep the level of the two tanks even. Pic Below.

If it works, my idea is to run one canister to filter both tanks. Inlet in one tank and outlet in the other tank.

Have you thought of drilling both tanks in the side about 3/4 up the side and just putting a bulk head between them.

This probably the safer option as well, however your original plan will work. Would a checkvalve plumbed and sealed into the top be an efficient way of starting it?

Im just thinking of the most cost effective way of doing it..... And from what i can remember bulkheads and strainers aren't exactly cheap. (well compared to PVC)

Yes a check valve would work perfectly for what i need. Cheers for the idea. :)

Happy Days :)

I hope to get it happening between 4 tanks also. :)

Can someone recommend pipe size to suit the flow of a 1500LPH canister?

I have some 25mm, would that be sufficient?

Certainly should be - nothing stopping you from simply running two pipes anyway.

I did something similar, I wanted to have my fry tanks running off my 4ft tank to save on everything (filter, heater, etc) so I used a clear tub as a siphon from my 4ft to my top fry tank, and drilled holes in the fry tanks and had it returning from the bottom one to the 4ft tank. Worked really well, my bottle neck was the 15mm bulk heads I used for between the fry tanks :P Unfortunately that was the largest glass drilling bit I had :(

21al9up.png

only way it can go wrong is when the siphon is broken..... if workmanship is done well it cant go too wrong at all

I understand the chances of it going wrong are slim. But how do you mean it can't go "too wrong"? If it does go wrong, it goes very wrong very fast.

If this happens when no one is around, or overnight -

The second tank will mostly empty.

The first tank will over flow.

The canister will run dry and probably burn out.

He will lose filtration, and probably have an ammonia spike, and all fish might die.

If there is a heater in the second tank, there is a good chance it will blow up. If not, the temp will drop anyway and the fish will probably die.

I just think for the purpose of saving a few dollars, it could cost a whole lot more in stock and equipment if it goes wrong.

you could run a y peice on your inlet and out let to your pump so you have a pick up and return in both tanks and also still run a pipe connecting the 2 like your original plan this will reduce the risk of a stuff up as they both are independently joined to the pump but also have a fail safe of the pipe connecting the 2 there shouldnt be any major flow through the pipe so chances of it getting blocked are low

Drilling tank hole $15

Bulkhead with strainer under $20 easy.

I got mine from all about pumps in bundall...

Your mad doing that other idea... its a bit nuts.

$15 + $20 + $20 + cost of hose and clamps

To join to tanks together will cost approx $60 with bulkheads etc....

PVC Parts $15

Considering I want to eventually join the 4 tanks together. It will be $180 compared with $45.

This is my dillema....

With the PVC idea, from what i can see the only way the siphon can be broken is if the seals on the joins aren't air tight, or the down pipe some how moves above the surface. (Correct?) I might give it it a trial run between to tanks before i choose a suitable method.

Another Question.... When joining PVC for aquarium use. Can you use the Chemical PVC Joining stuff or better off to use silicone?

Cheers For the Responses People!

What size tanks are you running it on? If they are only small, grab a second heater and a couple of sponge filters. Cost of running a all heater is less than a larger canister.

Rob

seal the joins well and you wont have any probs, use 50 mm pipe so that current isn't too strong through it and there is no probs with clogging.......the only prob you will find is that fish you were trying to keep separate will swim through the pipe. if the pump stops so does the siphon so power outage is no prob.....i would be worried if you couldn't get a adequate pvc join with pvc cement..... some people are hypocondriacts around here, and great for them for taking the safest way, it's just that other people may only want to join the tanks for an interim amount of time for thier own reasons, and this is the solution.

I do plan on using some sort of coarse netting or something to cover the ends with. (To prevent fish swimming up the pipe)

I am planning on doing 2 tanks that are 4x2x20 both next to each other on an 8 ft stand. I figure one 300w Jager heater and a small canister will be cheaper to run then 2 x 300w heaters. (plus i get the extra filtration and bio from the canister). They will also have 2 sponge filters in each.

If this works how i want it to, i am going to do 4 tanks that are 2x2x18 all next to each other on the other tier of the stand.

Im just thinking PVC is going to be easier for me, cheaper for me and it will make the tanks easier to sell when im finished with them. I understand it is safer drilling and plumbing properly, but I am going to try out the PVC 1st. If i have problems I might looking at drilling later down the track.

Once again Thankyou all for Your input.

seal the joins well and you wont have any probs, use 50 mm pipe so that current isn't too strong through it and there is no probs with clogging.......the only prob you will find is that fish you were trying to keep separate will swim through the pipe. if the pump stops so does the siphon so power outage is no prob.....i would be worried if you couldn't get a adequate pvc join with pvc cement..... some people are hypocondriacts around here, and great for them for taking the safest way, it's just that other people may only want to join the tanks for an interim amount of time for thier own reasons, and this is the solution.

My worry was that the PVC cement would be toxic and kill my fish.... ?? The guy at bunnings recommended not using it for an aquarium, He suggested Silicone. Anybody know any better?