FISHLIFE

Electric Yellows Hiding

Hi all

Just want some info on my Electric Yellow colony of 10 hiding all the time

i have made them a rock creation for them to hide in and also i have a terrorcota pot in there for breeding

they have just started to breed about 3 weeks ago ,but the only time i see them is at feeding time r when there is no one around

and i look from a distance,

What i want to know is there a simple way to get them to come out, so im not just looking at a fish tank full of rocks :)

Should i remove the rocks? or add more yellows . I know i want them as a breeding colony but i like to look at them to :)

How big is the tank?

Any other fish in there?

May pay to use a couple of dither fish like Rainbows?

Chances are, if the dom male is breeding & making claims, the others are probably a little skittish. I know it sounds boring, but the better yellow set ups, for viewing are usually tanks with no decrations.

Frenchy :sheep:

Since no-one else has asked......

What are your water parameters?

ph

nitrite

Ammonia

nitrate

Gh

Kh

Temp?

Filtration?

Also I agree a 2ft is no place to keep 10 labidochromis!!!!! :(

It is no wonder you have had continual problems with these fish........Yes I remember your previous posts! ;)

If you want advice then provide your water parameters and get a bigger tank!!!!!

Steve

My tank is a 2x2x2 and they are not very big at all they would be 6 to 7 cm tops

nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

nitrate 0

ph 7.8

temp 24

and stevebris my fish a well looked after i feed them the best , they have plenty of tank space for the size of them and i am planning a bigger tank

in the near future.

My tank is a 2x2x2 and they are not very big at all they would be 6 to 7 cm tops

nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

nitrate 0

ph 7.8

temp 24

and stevebris my fish a well looked after i feed them the best , they have plenty of tank space for the size of them and i am planning a bigger tank

in the near future.

Natrate of 0?

better check your test kit mate!

Temp 24?

I would hazard a guess and say that is why your fish are stressed and skittish!

I would bump it up to 28 slowly over a few hours......

Steve

My natrate test was a yellow to orange colour so in between the 0 to 5.0 give or take

and i just bumped it up to 25 on the temp i took your advise , but my temp of 24 is still conciderd ok

yellows like temps between 24 to 28 . Ill see what happens, even the fish shop told me they like to

hide all the time thats just yellows.

Ive also got a colony of manganos and there totaly opposite there never hiding ,always glad to see me :)

feed them the same and same sort of set up but in a 3ft tank

both colonys are breeding to, so yellows cant be that stressed

Few questions ,

-Where is your tank ( is it in a high traffic area or away from people ) ?

-What is the male - female ratio of your yellows ?

-Have you observed there territories eg how big each ones territory is ( 2 foot dosnt give them much of a territory with 10 yellows ) ?

-What sort of filtration do you have on the 2 footer?

-Whats your water changing maintance ( how often do you do this ) ?

Mbuna are rock dwellers so it's natural for them to hide , also just because there breeding dosnt mean there not stressed or skittish you may have a dominant male in there which is making the rest stressed and hide alot ( both males and females ),also IMO a 2 footer is way to small for 10 yellows no matter of size remember they can take up a bit of room with there territories . I would be getting your temp to at least 26 as 24 is getting a bit on the cold side remembering your tank will drop in temp in winter it could get to 22 at times while your heater heats the water and with our weather here you can get hot days in winter so your tanks temp could be going from cold to hot alot , i've always found better to keep them on the warm side

You could try adding dither fish as was said or you can try feeding them less but more often so they get more used to you , If you've had these a while they should be getting more used to you being around and becoming less stressed / skittish when you are watching them , sounds like there either hiding from the dominant fish or just not used to you being around them , also i wouldnt add the maingano with the yellows as there a fairly aggro mbuna ( even though stace ( tutters ) knows alot about breeding fish and is a very well knowledged person ( is that even a word :? ) i have just found that yellows are fairly sooky with some of the more agressive africans , anyway enough of the long story hope this helps

Terry

Tutters i have 10 mainganos as well in my three footer

Whiteknight the tank i would say is in a high traffic area its at the end of my dinning room next to a walk way leading to toilet and bedrooms (having 7 kids llimits my tank positions lol ) , but i have painted the back and sides to this tank to give them more privancy.

Male ratio, its hard to say there is one dominate male for sure one one sub dominate male , ive had 5 other fish holding so not sure of the other three but im pretty sure i have 2 male 8 female. Ive had no fry yet they have all spat the eggs or eaten the eggs, which i was told its normal for there first or second spawn to either spit or eat the eggs.

I have a 600l p/h otto power filters , one each for both of my tanks.

Also i do a fortnighty water change on my tanks.

I am planning soon to get a display tank and also upgrade the yellow tank

Cheers Peter

Hey i would say being that your tank is in a high traffic area they should be more used to people so i would try the feed less but more often one sounds like there just a bit skittish, imo fish tend to be more out and open in the tank when there in a high traffic area rather than on there own ( so this is a good thing ) , also i would be doing weekly water changes of around 15-20% hope this helps keep us posted on what you try

Terry