How do i use purigen in a 3ft tank with a hang on filter ? I'm curious as to where i would put it and how much better the water quality will be. I just set my tank up took about 4 hours lol. Really pleased with it, and I'm thinking about getting some purigen from Redlands pet Centre obviously. How do i use it and store it in the hang on, does it help with fish and plant growth or is it just a show thing ?

Thanks in advance

Trent

Just put the purigen in the HOB filter just before the water comes out.

I find it really makes the water crystal clear and it just absrbs any nasties that don't get done with the normal media (any fish urine etc).

I'm not sure it actually helps with growth but it sure helps with water quality IMO...

It also removes any tannins and things from the water too.

Lots of people don't use purigen and its fine, I just think it make water conditions a little more stable

I've only just started using it myself about 3 weeks ago, has done wonders for my tank (i only use it on my display tank) and will be going back to Redlands Pet Center to grab another kilo to go into my other canisters.

Always use in the last stage of filtration weather it be sump, canister, hang on etc, remembering it does need to be recharged when required.

It is amazing how much difference purigen makes...

It will clear your tank up overnight.

I suggest to buy twice as much as you need, (so buy 2 of the $13 bags from Russ), when you're rechargin one you have the other as spare ready to go.

Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

Can be bought for 60 bucks a kilo online (in Oz) but redland pets will probably beat that by the time you add mailing costs. You need twice as much as you are using. One to place back in your filter whilst re-charging the used stuff. The bags can be bought from the USA for as little as 6 bucks........ask them to remove them from packageing to keep the freight down. be aware, it will send your PH up after re-charge is you do not neutralise it with an acid buffer.

kev

Anyone actually know what products it is talking about when it says:

Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul
The bags can be bought from the USA for as little as 6 bucks........

Have you got a site?

I once read somewhere that a person had found this material that they could 'make' fine enough filter bags out of to hold Purigen.. They were able to cut the material to size, then Iron down the edges to make the bag custome size to your filter.. Anyone else seen or heard about that?

Purigen simply polishes the water you can hang the bag itself anywhere in the tank as long as it has good flow... doesnt need to be IN the filter...

Anyone actually know what products it is talking about when it says:
Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul

Theres ur biggie ;) just makes it harder to clean/regenerate...

there talking about stuff like stresszyme which is made by seachem anyway :lol:

Purigen simply polishes the water you can hang the bag itself anywhere in the tank as long as it has good flow... doesnt need to be IN the filter...

Yes, but be honest, why wouldn't you put it in the filter...? So lets just go on the assumption that most normal people do as a part of their chemical filtration.

The question was more if anyone has seen this product(fabric?) in their travels I once saw on another forum (I lost the link) where it was a fine mesh bag fabric (fine enough for Purigen), that you could make to fit your filter shape/size by simply cutting it to shape and and using an iron to 'press' it shut??

Theres ur biggie ;) just makes it harder to clean/regenerate...

there talking about stuff like stresszyme which is made by seachem anywa

Actually, Stress-Zyme is an API product, I think StressGuard(?) would be the Seachem equivalent.

I think it is a bit more than that, I did a bit of digging around, and if you use use an amine based decloranator during the regeneration, it potentially can make it toxic - So that would be stuff like API's Stress-Coat;

The problem with Purigen and slime coat products occurs in the regeneration of Purigen. After using bleach to remove the organics you then soak the Purigen in a dechlorinator to remove the chlorine bleach. Many companies that have a slime coat enhancer in their products use an amine based polymer. That amine can attach to the chlorine creating chloramine. Chloramine is rather stable and can kill your fish when added to the aquarium.

However, its seems ok if you use an amine based product in your tank, or while doing say a regular water change, but leave it in your tank for a few days before you go to recharge.

Let me explain how it forms chloramines and maybe that will help you better understand. During the regeneration process you soak the Purigen in a 50-50 solution of water-bleach. After that stage is done you soak it in a dechlorinator, to remove the chlorine from bleach. If you add an amine based polymer at this stage it will combine to for[m] chloramine. Chloramine is a bond between chlorine and amine.

So as long as you have not used an amine based polymer in the few days before regenerating Purigen or in the regeneration process you will be fine.

I think that if you're worrying about what purigen can do your tank chemistry, then you've got problems anyway, that purigen can't solve..............purigen is the dogs bolloxs

I am not worried about my tank chemistry at all. Far from. In fact I used Purigen myself. Its awesome and will recommend it to anyone. It is da shitz nitz, da bomb, (insert whatever other lingo is going around).

This thread however made me pick up my bottle and have a look at the label. That is when I saw that little "using xyz products will blah blah blah" blurb on it and made me start to wonder wtf it was actually talking about - as I had no idea.... So I thought I would ask if anyone knew, given the subject of the thread hoped that someone could give me a short, quick answer. Seemed logical and a good place to me.

I didn't get an answer that I 'personally' thought was quite adequate to the question I asked, so I went on the hunt and that is what I found..

Now given this is the 'newbie' section - There may be a high possibility, that upon recommendation (and rightly so) they went out and ordered/bought some Purigen for their tank, come to recharge time and did not know about this and used Stress-Coat (which is sold as a dechlorinator) which they got from the LFS because they were told "it helps da fishes when ya do a water change cause it has a fish slime coat stuff in it" only to find that when they put the Purigen back in after using it or any other amine based decloranator to do the recharge, that they are in-fact poisoning their poor fishes.

Now think of the flow on effects of that?!!?

This person loose all their wonderful fishes, get disillusioned with the hobby, kicks the dog, throws the cat, chucks a rock through their tank, yells at their parents and then goes up to the bell tower with their 'list' and .......

THINK OF THE FISHIES!!! OH THE HUMANITY OF IT ALL!!!!

In all seriousness though, the quotes I provided were direct from Seachem.

Actually, Stress-Zyme is an API product, I think StressGuard(?) would be the Seachem equivalent.

I think it is a bit more than that, I did a bit of digging around, and if you use use an amine based decloranator during the regeneration, it potentially can make it toxic - So that would be stuff like API's Stress-Coat;

The problem with Purigen and slime coat products occurs in the regeneration of Purigen. After using bleach to remove the organics you then soak the Purigen in a dechlorinator to remove the chlorine bleach. Many companies that have a slime coat enhancer in their products use an amine based polymer. That amine can attach to the chlorine creating chloramine. Chloramine is rather stable and can kill your fish when added to the aquarium.

However, its seems ok if you use an amine based product in your tank, or while doing say a regular water change, but leave it in your tank for a few days before you go to recharge.

Let me explain how it forms chloramines and maybe that will help you better understand. During the regeneration process you soak the Purigen in a 50-50 solution of water-bleach. After that stage is done you soak it in a dechlorinator, to remove the chlorine from bleach. If you add an amine based polymer at this stage it will combine to for[m] chloramine. Chloramine is a bond between chlorine and amine.

So as long as you have not used an amine based polymer in the few days before regenerating Purigen or in the regeneration process you will be fine.

[/quote:2fywrr2j]

Potato Potatoe if you use stress coat to remove chlorine u deserve everything you get! :lol:

you said it yourself right there mate! -just don't use it IN ur regen process ;)