Mackayman

Mackayman's 6 ft tank stand sump project

Hi all,

Decided to post a worklog on my latest project. I'm going to replace my 4 ft with a 6ft and turn the 4 ft into a sump.

Will be a long term project, but gotta start somewhere. Here's a piccy of the existing setup, i have to build a stand to fit into that alcove. You can see part of the steel frame cut out and laying on the floor.

Tankstandsumpbuild001.jpg

This is the stand in planning stage, its 50x25x3mm steel.

StandPlan.jpg

And here's a plan with the tank and sump on.

Standandtank.jpg

Thats not the finished product, after i make the stand its off to the cabinet maker to get "dressed" in some sort of quality timber with mini orb steel trim. Here's what im hoping to achieve,

Finishedproduct.jpg

Let me know what you think, any suggestions, ideas,thoughts, etc.

Off to the shed now to get a piccy of the half built stand.

Brendan

Ok, not much of an advancement i know but heres the stand constuction finally underway, a mate helped me put it together after i stuffed the first one up ,The welding was ok but the whole thing got a twist in it due to my very average boiler making skills.

Tankstandsumpbuild004.jpg

Brendan

Edited by Mackayman

I look forward to seeing it too.

Would also look good getting a tank made to fit to the size of the stand. But then you would have trouble selling it down the track cos of the size. None the less it looks great. :panda:

I look forward to seeing it too.

Would also look good getting a tank made to fit to the size of the stand. But then you would have trouble selling it down the track cos of the size. None the less it looks great. :panda:

Thanks Zane,

The tank is the biggest one that will fit due to the 45 degree "end walls", or did you mean a tank with 45 degree corners?.

In any case, its to hard, have settled on the 6x18x24 as thats what fits most comfortably without protuding to far from the main wall which is like a walkway.

Brendan

Yeah I meant 45 degree tank corners, like an exact footprint of the stand. Would be a little excessive though and expensive to get made. Good luck with it though. I bookmarked this :)

Ok,

Got a little more done this weekend, fitted the top, did all the grinding, lots a grinding, cause im a sh*te welder, bit of u/coat to protect it till next weekend when i hope to weld the legs on.

Cant make up my mind what to do with the legs, (theres 7 of them), i was going to make them out of the same material, 50mm long each and fit the plastic end caps. Just not sure they will all sit evenly on the ground. May go solid leg on each corner and levelling feet for the rest.

Anyhow, heres a few piccys.

Thats me mate, couldn't have done it without his help.

Tankstandsumpbuild06.jpg

Thats me working on into the night, (seriously cutting into my drinking time)

Tankstandsumpbuild07.jpg

Couple here of the end result

Tankstandsumpbuild11.jpg

Tankstandsumpbuild10.jpg

I am "THE STIG"

Tankstandsumpbuild09.jpg

Stig safety boots

Tankstandsumpbuild08.jpg

Thats about it for now, i"ll post a bit more next weekend

Brendan

Well i just managed to bribe the neighbour with beer, and he helped me carry the stand inside for a test fitting.

As you can see by the photo below, it fits perfectly ( i was sweating on it )and is flat as a tack on the floor. That solves my dilema with the legs, Solid legs should all sit evenly and will be a lot easier to fit than levelling legs.

Tankstandsumpbuild13.jpg

Brendan

I'm new to the board (Hi!) and fish-keeping in general, so I'll be watching this thread with interest. I grew up in Mackay and there is a fair chance I may be moving back there this year.

Ok, bit of an update, photos and running commentary. After last weekends "test fitting" went so well, (actually fits and is flat on floor) i decided to use solid legs.

Here they are being fitted.

Tankstandsumpbuild14.jpg

These are the end caps im going to use to protect the floor tiles.

Tankstandsumpbuild15.jpg

Once the legs were welded on and ground up, it was a good sanding to prepare for undercoat.

Tankstandsumpbuild16.jpg

Two coats killrust undercoat, 1 brushed on ( i like to get plenty of paint into the welds) and the second coat was sprayed on.

Tankstandsumpbuild17.jpg

Tankstandsumpbuild18.jpg

So this is where things started to go wrong, the end result is going to be black but because im a stingy b@r$t@d, for the first topcoat i thought id use some mission brown paint that ive had in the shed since christ played origin for QLD.

Bad decision, runs every where, poor finish etc. Not to0 wory, ill give it a sand next weekend and put the final black coat on.

Tankstandsumpbuild19.jpg

Thats it with the piccys for now, This stand is just about finished, allthough i keep thinking about a floor for it, Wondering if i could use "expanded mesh" or the like to let the sump area breath, just cant find anything suitable. Any ideas ?? If not i'll just put a plywood floor in it.

Brendan

Depending on your budget, try perforated gal sheet, will look trick if u go for a large hole and open perforation. It is pretty pricy though, just get a sheet metal shop to gillo it to your sizes. Stand looks awsome!!

Just a thought though....have followed this post for a while and cant remember the size of your tank but thoses plastic knock in caps are a bit dicey, I have seen them squash. The weight ontop of them sorta squashes the outside and the centre goes inside the tube. I know u can actualy get caps like that that are made as feet to protect the floor, they are usually a hard plastic, the ones you have got(not 100% sure but it looked like them from the photo) are a soft sorta glossy plastic, but you do have a few legs on it to spread the weight(and i does need alot of weight to actually do that). I really hate to throught my two cents worth in as from the looks of your drawings and your fab work on the stand you are definatly experienced in what you are doing, but just thought id voice my thoughts.

Depending on your budget, try perforated gal sheet, will look trick if u go for a large hole and open perforation. It is pretty pricy though, just get a sheet metal shop to gillo it to your sizes. Stand looks awsome!!

Just a thought though....have followed this post for a while and cant remember the size of your tank but thoses plastic knock in caps are a bit dicey, I have seen them squash. The weight ontop of them sorta squashes the outside and the centre goes inside the tube. I know u can actualy get caps like that that are made as feet to protect the floor, they are usually a hard plastic, the ones you have got(not 100% sure but it looked like them from the photo) are a soft sorta glossy plastic, but you do have a few legs on it to spread the weight(and i does need alot of weight to actually do that). I really hate to throught my two cents worth in as from the looks of your drawings and your fab work on the stand you are definatly experienced in what you are doing, but just thought id voice my thoughts.

Thanks Aqua,

Your comments much appreciated, Priced up the perforated gal sheet, way outta my league, have to buy a whole sheet and pay freight to get it here, bit rich when i only need a 3rd of a sheet. Gonna keep looking, maybe security door mesh or something, dunno, cant make my mind up.

I am really stressing bout the plastic leg caps, trust me, were on the same page, im just hoping they'll work.

Theory is the whole stand will weigh approx 800 kilo's and theres 8 legs at 100 kilos each. (fingers crossed it'll work)

Thanks again for looking.

Brendan

Edited by Mackayman

Ok,

Thats me mate, couldn't have done it without his help.

Tankstandsumpbuild06.jpg

Unquote

Hey Brendan

Just wanted to know how your mate got on welding in thongs (Vietnamese safety boots) :!::esup:

My hubby is a welder and I have never seen him ever weld in a pair of thongs yet.

Look forward to seeing it all finished.

Jane

Ahhh Jane,

We breed em tough up here in Nth QLD, He does every thing in thongs, weld, chainsaw, crocodile hunting, etc.

I think he even sleeps in em. :)

Thanks for your comments on my project, will take some time, ( money ) but i will get there.

Brendan

Edited by Mackayman

Well this is the result of this weekend's effort, got hte stand painted black and fitted the floor. Thats about it for this stage of the project, have to wait for Mrs Mackayman to release some more $$$ for the next bit, that's the cabinet maker. Should happen next month, providing i don't use up to many brownie points!!. Here's some pic's.

Fitting the aluminium angle to screw the floor to.

Tankstandsumpbuild20.jpg

The floor is made of 17mm Form ply

Tankstandsumpbuild21.jpg

Thats the end result, with the floor fitted and the stand painted black

Tankstandsumpbuild22.jpg

And just threw one in here with the mower in to give a perspective of size.

Tankstandsumpbuild23.jpg

Some of you may have noticed my drift wood collection in the background, None of it's been used yet,

Just waiting for the day i can finally put a tank on this stand and sort out what i need and what i don't.

Tankstandsumpbuild24.jpg

Just to summerize, last you will hear from me for a while as it will now be in the hands of the cabinet maker, will try and get some photo's as it happen's, see how it go's, but hoping it will come back looking something like this.

Finishedproduct.jpg

In The meantime, i have to remove the mirror and get it cut down as the new tank will be much taller than the old one.

That means i'll have to putty the old holes up and repaint that wall. Should keep me busy :whyme:

Thanks for looking.

Brendan

Nothing yet sorry Jase,

The quote from the cabinet maker was $2500:00 :whoa: . So have been saving the $, In any case, i'm gonna make it happen next month regardless.

I"m keen to get it happening again and will post progress then.

$2500:00 8O8O8O

Thanks for looking at my project, hope it helps someone.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

I hope you are able to shop around a bit more with a few more cabinet makers? Surely someone can do you a bit better price? I know it's a custom job etc, but that does seem like an awfully large chunk of moola.

ps - whole project is looking really good and I am looking forward to seeing it finished (not as much as you are though, I'd bet :lol: )

Best of luck with it. It's gonna be great :)

Cheers,

Ok....Lost some info in the great hack attack, not to worry, should be able to pick it up from here. Seems like the stand has been at the cabinet makers forever but with some luck it will be installed this coming Tuesday

Got a few piccys below, timber is American oak, double thickness laminated plywood top, mini orb panel infills and as seen in previous posts,frame is 50x25x3 mm steel.

These first three are during constuction.

24.jpg

26.jpg

25.jpg

Brendan

Edited by Mackayman