Mackayman

Mackayman's 6 ft tank stand sump project

awesome looking tank and stand mate good to see all your hard work has paid off

are you thinking of doing anything else with your sump filter just seems as though you are wasting the last half of the tank. no media or anything for example

anyways good luck with it all

luke

Looks great. Well worth the time and money, I'd say.
Well Done Brendan, Great Job and thanks for posting your project on here for us all to learn a thing or two. I'll be starting mine soon, so feel free to drop down and do it for me lol I mean have a beer while I work lol
superb effort, thanks for sharing the journey with us...sit back, have a beer and enjoy the finished result, you deserve it mate!
Absolutely spuerb Brendan. It's nice to finally see things come together as you envisaged.

kev

great job mate

good to see it finally finished and how good you did it :)

Great effort Brendan. All your hard work has certainly paid off. Now sit down and enjoy it!
love it mate!
Just read the whole post. AMAZING! Great work mate. Looks fantastic!

Thanks very much for comments guys, much appreciated.

awesome looking tank and stand mate good to see all your hard work has paid off

are you thinking of doing anything else with your sump filter just seems as though you are wasting the last half of the tank. no media or anything for example

anyways good luck with it all

luke

Thanks luke, yeah, do accept there is still some fine tuning to do with the sump, have done a little more since last posting, (see pics below). However i'm happy that thats enough media to support my 500 lts in total system.

I reckon i'll put another 4 lts pond matrix in there and something in that last compartment, the last half of the sump will remain unchanged,the main reason i built a sump was to increase water volume and surface area as i could only fit a 6x1.5x2 tank , I really wanted a 6x2x2.

Other thing I gotta do is try and make the sump a little quieter, it's not bad, but i'm a fussy bugger. I'm sure those 90 degree elbows are half the problem, and i think a air breather or "blowhole" at the spraybar will eliminate some noise, anybody got any ideas ?

Anyhow, thanks every body, heres a couple pics where im at.

107.jpg

106.jpg

Ciao

Brendan

Edited by Mackayman

Ok, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I did say somewhere the last part was the re-scape. So this is where im at now. Jus wanna give ya the idea of where im going. Promise I'll move outta here an into the photograpy and video lounge or somewhere else. ( Unfortunatley, im not a photographer ) Ahh well,...... dosn't matter.

So, back to the point, I bought this,

108.jpg

Didn't fit in the tank, so I bought this,

109-1.jpg

An this is what i ended up with.

110-1.jpg

Edited by Mackayman

111-1.jpg

112-1.jpg

As I said somewhere before, Im over the moon happy bout all this. Anyhow, job done, mission accomplished. Jus fine tuning from here on.

Thanks for ya time an patience.

Cya

Brendan

looks perfect, let all learn that the best projects have great planning up front, 1 suggestion to help later, use the filter bags for the bio balls and other loose media makes cleaning a breeze, esp with 2000 of them, you can do a 1/4 at a time that way too

Ben

Well scaped Brendan.................not too busy, not too sparse...............just right.

kev

Thanks Kev, Im pretty happy with it.

Truely superb mate.

I'd be over the moon and back again.

Time and patience paid off for ya.

=)

Ya not wrong about the time jp, project took just over a year, tks.

wow nice!

just finished reading the thread!!!

new dw looks amazing, as well as your tank.

Well done

Ta mate

Love It ,if you find another piece of DW send it my way!!!!

Sorry chickadee, if i find another bit, it's going in the other end of the tank. By the way, it wasn't cheap.

looks perfect, let all learn that the best projects have great planning up front, 1 suggestion to help later, use the filter bags for the bio balls and other loose media makes cleaning a breeze, esp with 2000 of them, you can do a 1/4 at a time that way too

Ben

Thanks Ben, I'm currently in "design phase" for a media "packaging" system.

With those lovely snags Brendan, it is fish heaven :)

Well done mate

Hi Yakfat, Many thanks for your help and suggestions along the way.

Hey Gollys,

Jus because I can, here's a pitcha from last weekend, 8 months on.

Really happy with the tank, suffered from Trichodina for a good while ( another story on a diff thread somewhere )

All is A1, OK, Good as it gets, .... Atm .... I just hope it stays that way. :|

107-1.jpg

Sorry bout my ugly mug :egrin::P

Brendan

Edited by Mackayman

Wicked work mate.. just read thread from start to finish... awesome info there...thanks for the updates along the way....

Whole setup looks wicked...

U might've inspired me to do a couple little threads...

cheers for sharing mate..

enjoy!

Fantastic job mate, I love the cabinet work especially.

I was wondering if you ever sorted out your gurgling problem?

I found years ago with a similar set up that you have with your vented drains, that a bit of filter wool inside the caps can help..... but on my most recent tank (and i know many will shudder at this), i have put a ball valve inline with the drain. This allowed me to slow the flow just enough to stop the loud gurgle.. seeing as the gurgle seems to be caused by the water flowing to fast and sucking in too much air, the air then being thrashed about in the pipe. By slowing the flow even slightly, the air in the drain pipe is much less turbulent, and therefore quieter. MUCH quieter.

I found it works for me anyway.... so far so good. Has anyone else tried this method with any sucess?

Cheers

Ben

Streuth !!!      You must be still coughing from the dust, dragging this old thread out of the cupboard. 4-5 years since last post. lol.

Anyways tank is still going strong, still looks just like it did in the last photo. Nil issues or concerns.

Feel free to copy my sump Mr Aldobug, I'm more than happy with it and would not change a thing. 30mm gap under pertitions ( think i read u asking somewhere )

Advice    IMO the return chamber should be as large as possible, note mine takes half the sump.

This allows heaps of room for evaporation, also good for heaters and a place to keep canister media seeded for my quarantine tank. ( Dun use it much but pop in the media, .... water change from display into q/tine tank and presto, ready to go.) 

Cheers

Brendan

I personally would lose the bubble trap and move the baffle so that the chambers are equidistant . Then able to fit more (different) media in as the water flows "up" one chamber and "down" the other.

Are you using some sort of water spreader where it enters the sump ?

Have a look here. http://www.qldaf.com/topic/18432-your-sump-pics-here/page/2/ 

I have post starting toward the bottom of the page showing my sump. I has been running non stop for 8 years now with absolutely zero issues .

Not saying my ways the only way, but it works well for me.

Cheers :)

13 hours ago, yellows said:

What size is each compartment in your sump, how come you didn’t put a bubble trap in and what size is the 4 foot tank.

Could you answer these questions for me please mate and how high are your baffles and no I haven’t got a water spreader as yet where do you get them made or do you make one out of Perspex yourself.

Each of the two smaller compartments are 120 mm wide each. 1st chamber is approx 370 mm square.

Sump is 4'x15"x18" 

I didn't put a bubble trap in because i believe they are unnecessary . 

If you look at the sump pics thread in the DIY section I have a step by step post starting at the bottom of page two.

Cheers